Disabled Concealed Carry

RampDog

Fanatic
I wasn't sure where to post this until I saw the "concealed carry question" thread. But, I digress...
I'm a disabled veteran of the Iraq War confined to a wheelchair for any mobility outside my home.
This presents special problems for concealed carry. Does anyone here have any experience in
this situation? I don't mean to sound paranoid when I say that while in my chair I feel like a
target. I know that I am, the scum of society thinking I'm easy pickings due to my disability.
I'd love to disavow them of that notion, but carrying in a chair is rather difficult. I'd love to
see any suggestions the members here may have, especially if any of you are in the same
boat as I am. I'm a rather large person at 6'2" and 255lbs. Some of the things I've already
or tried are:
Strong side carry. This allows for the greatest level of concealment, but forces me to bend
forward and to the weak side to grip the pistol.

Weak side, crossdraw. This is near perfect for easy access to my weapon, but makes the
gun hard to conceal.

Shoulder holster. This is a good compromise between concealment and ease of access. The
problem is the shoulder rig and weapon rub my ribcage and undeside of my arm pretty raw.

Kazhrei

Well-Known Fanatic
RampDog said:
I wasn't sure where to post this until I saw the "concealed carry question" thread. But, I digress...
I'm a disabled veteran of the Iraq War confined to a wheelchair for any mobility outside my home.
This presents special problems for concealed carry. Does anyone here have any experience in
this situation? I don't mean to sound paranoid when I say that while in my chair I feel like a
target. I know that I am, the scum of society thinking I'm easy pickings due to my disability.
I'd love to disavow them of that notion, but carrying in a chair is rather difficult. I'd love to
see any suggestions the members here may have, especially if any of you are in the same
boat as I am. I'm a rather large person at 6'2" and 255lbs. Some of the things I've already
or tried are:
Strong side carry. This allows for the greatest level of concealment, but forces me to bend

Weak side, crossdraw. This is near perfect for easy access to my weapon, but makes the
gun hard to conceal.

Shoulder holster. This is a good compromise between concealment and ease of access. The
problem is the shoulder rig and weapon rub my ribcage and undeside of my arm pretty raw.

I realize I lack experience in concealed carry, but what about something like a smartcarry with appendix draw?

jonyrotten

Well-Known Fanatic
welcome rampdog, i don't get to the hello room much. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY

RampDog said:
gun hard to conceal.

what about this but just keep something over your lap to hide it. if this is the best access for you then definitely use it and just drape something over to ensure concealment. does that make sense?

on the aside, what's your CCW? you a pistol guy or revolver?

RampDog

Fanatic
Kazhrei said:
RampDog said:
or tried are:

gun hard to conceal.

I realize I lack experience in concealed carry, but what about something like a smartcarry with appendix draw?

I'm not sure what that is. Can you elaborate?

RampDog

Fanatic
jonyrotten said:
welcome rampdog, i don't get to the hello room much. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY

RampDog said:
gun hard to conceal.

what about this but just keep something over your lap to hide it. if this is the best access for you then definitely use it and just drape something over to ensure concealment. does that make sense?

on the aside, what's your CCW? you a pistol guy or revolver?

I've tried wearing a jacket or a long open shirt. They just flap open exposing the gun. My CCW is out of Indiana and I'm a lifelong pistol guy. Right now my carry gun is a stainless Taurus PT945. I've been considering going smaller though for easier concealment in the chair.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know how well it would work for you but I sometimes carry a Model 27 Glock in a waist pack.
I got a pretty nice leather one from Sportsmans Warehouse.

As far as smaller pistols I have found the PF-9 Kel-Tec to be a good compromise between a pocket pistol like the P3AT and a larger pistol.
The P-11 is so close in size to a baby Glock you might as well carry the Glock.

Bdbys59

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a T-shirt (5-11 Tactical series) that has a built in holster on both sides. I use it all the time,, no small man myself, no problems either, padded. I got mine from www.lapolicegear.com :)

Range Master

Well-Known Fanatic
Ramp, you didn't say where you were. Assuming you are here in SC, state law provides the weapon be carried "on or about" your person. I have had clients carry in a purses (female) or packs (maxpedition or 511 might work well) attached to their wheelchair. I have seen another carry in a leather saddlebag strapped to the frame near his right leg. Thank you for your service to our country.

RampDog

Fanatic
Frost said:
I don't know how well it would work for you but I sometimes carry a Model 27 Glock in a waist pack.
I got a pretty nice leather one from Sportsmans Warehouse.

As far as smaller pistols I have found the PF-9 Kel-Tec to be a good compromise between a pocket pistol like the P3AT and a larger pistol.
The P-11 is so close in size to a baby Glock you might as well carry the Glock.

That may be worht looking into. Thanks!!

RampDog

Fanatic
Bdbys59 said:
There is a T-shirt (5-11 Tactical series) that has a built in holster on both sides. I use it all the time,, no small man myself, no problems either, padded. I got mine from http://www.lapolicegear.com :)

Tht's something to look into. It seems almost like a shoulder rig though.

RampDog

Fanatic
Range Master said:
Ramp, you didn't say where you were. Assuming you are here in SC, state law provides the weapon be carried "on or about" your person. I have had clients carry in a purses (female) or packs (maxpedition or 511 might work well) attached to their wheelchair. I have seen another carry in a leather saddlebag strapped to the frame near his right leg. Thank you for your service to our country.

I live in Indiana. A forum member thought I might like it here and invited me. It sounds like some of your clients ahve quite a bit of experience carrying in a chair. is there any possibility they may know of a few websites with more info? I was thinking of attaching of some tyoe of bag, but don't really know what would work or how it would attach to the chair.