H. 3298 Carrying a gun under car seat bill

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep you read it correct. There's a bill to allow carrying a gun under your car seat. It's passed the House and is now in the Senate judiciary committee. Even though I'll never carry my firearm under my seat some of this bill is interesting. See the bold/underlined area.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_200 ... s/3298.htm

SECTION 1. Section 16-23-20(9)(a) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 28 of 2007, is further amended to read:

"(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or "

Range Master

Well-Known Fanatic
Carrying a gun under your seat is a great idea.......until you slam on brakes, turn sharp, or take off quickly. "Excuse me while I feel around and try to fish my gun out from under the floormats".

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Range Master said:
Carrying a gun under your seat is a great idea.......until you slam on brakes, turn sharp, or take off quickly. "Excuse me while I feel around and try to fish my gun out from under the floormats".

For me, this bill represents the gov't giving back some of our right to carry when and how we choose. I agree that underseat carry isn't ideal. I personally would prefer to put it in my parcel tray on top of my console, but i can't. I think deregulation of these blue tape laws will not happen all at once, but as law abiding Citizens and CWPers we need to stand together to support any bill that gives back rights that have been stripped over the last 200 years.

Obviously, all my opinion, It's worth what you paid for it.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I want to mount a holster to the side of my console and for that to be a legal method of transport.

Range Master

Well-Known Fanatic
Trust me, I have great heartburn asking the government for permission to exercise a constitutional right when it comes to concealed carry, to abiding by arbitrary transport laws, and most other firearms laws which we have as a result of our legislators capitulating to the desires of lobbyists and noisemakers with no regard for logic or facts. That said, my point was to illustrate the potential for loss of control of a firearm carried under the seat. As a LE Firearms Instructor and CWP Instructor, I hear from people quite often who intend to carry under the seat when this bill passes. They have given no thought to the potential, nor to accessibillity (I am um.. hefty.. and I cant reach under my seat when I'm sitting in it :shock: )

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is the co-sponsor and more about the bill. Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Denmark. http://www.thetandd.com/news/local/govt ... 03286.html

Sellers said. "I feel if a person has gone through eight hours of class and spent time on the range learning gun safety, they should be responsible enough to keep the weapon in a more accessible place."

I have a feeling that some constituents, not knowing the law, have been busted carrying concealed firearms under their seats and other unauthorized areas in their vehicles has prompted this bill.

jmt2566

Well-Known Fanatic
If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment

This sounds to me like you could install a holster some place convenient. It does not seem to specify that the storage compartment has to be a stock part of the vehicle from the factory. Under the seat never seemed like that great of an idea to me, doesn't seem to be well enough secured (as several before me have noted). But if I could hang it in a holster that would secure the weapon from moving and yet be more readily accessible than trying to reach it on my strong side IWB, then I am all for this!

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Most vehicles have an open storage area along the bottom of the doors. Even though it on the weak side for me, it may be a viable place for car carry. I wonder if that storage net between the seats in my van would qualify as a compartment. Lord knows it's full of stuff I store there. A gun should fit right in. :lol:

Red Hat

Well-Known Fanatic
Dave29461 said:
Most vehicles have an open storage area along the bottom of the doors. Even though it on the weak side for me, it may be a viable place for car carry. I wonder if that storage net between the seats in my van would qualify as a compartment. Lord knows it's full of stuff I store there. A gun should fit right in. :lol:

I'd say yes, a storage net would comply.

Main Entry: 1com?part?ment
Pronunciation: \k?m-?p?rt-m?nt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French compartiment, from Italian compartimento, from compartire to mark out in parts, from Late Latin compartiri to share out, from Latin com- + partiri to share, from part-, pars part, share
Date: circa 1578

1 : a separate division or section
2 : one of the parts into which an enclosed space is divided

? com?part?men?tal \k?m-?p?rt-?men-t?l, ?k?m-\ adjective

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
I am ready. I have taken my passanger seat out. Sewn a piece of thick cloth next to the exposed springs. I have sewn velcro to the edges and created a matching piece that will hold my UZI. I am ready! :lol:
Scan0001-1.jpg

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
lafayette gregory said:
I am ready. I have taken my passanger seat out. Sewn a piece of thick cloth next to the exposed springs. I have sewn velcro to the edges and created a matching piece that will hold my UZI. I am ready! :lol:
Scan0001-1.jpg

Take the silencer off!! It will be a little hard whipping that thing around inside the vehicle!!!