S.115 Constitutional Carry

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
Much as I'd like to see it, I don't think it will make it out of committee. Too many folks scared by seeing someone with a gun on their hip. Law Enforcement won't support it because it makes their job that much more difficult. Not even sure Open Carry with a permit is workable, as that too presents problems for LEO's distinguishing good guys from bad guys. And with the current focus on making sure those with mental problems can't get their hands on guns, I hardly think an abandonment of the current permit and background check process is likely, as much as I'd like to see the gubermint get out of it.

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent emails to the Senators on the committee asking for support for the bill. I did receive a response (likely from a staffer) from Senator Martin's office. Basically, he is pro gun but the bill would throw open the doors to everyone carrying, including felons and those with mental problems. I dont' think anyone on the committee was going to vote for that. It sounds like at least he would support open carry with some modifications so that violent felons, etc couldn't carry. I'm guessing if it ever passes its going to be some compromise legislation that maintains the permit system and applies it to open carry, because I don't think anyone in the legislature is going to support allowing carry without a backgrorund check to make sure there aren't violent felons and the mentally ill carrying also.

cigarsnscotch

Fanatic
RK3369 said:
I sent emails to the Senators on the committee asking for support for the bill. I did receive a response (likely from a staffer) from Senator Martin's office. Basically, he is pro gun but the bill would throw open the doors to everyone carrying, including felons and those with mental problems. I dont' think anyone on the committee was going to vote for that. It sounds like at least he would support open carry with some modifications so that violent felons, etc couldn't carry. I'm guessing if it ever passes its going to be some compromise legislation that maintains the permit system and applies it to open carry, because I don't think anyone in the legislature is going to support allowing carry without a backgrorund check to make sure there aren't violent felons and the mentally ill carrying also.

I was disappointed to see this bill vote went this way. But what I don't get and don't like hearing from politicians or their staffers delivering the message is rhetoric like "open the doors to everyone carrying, including felons and those with mental problems".

Please explain to me how Vermont has managed to skirt all of their felons and mentally ill citizens from carrying firearms LEGALLY when they've had constitutional carry and open carry for a LONG time.

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't answer that one. You'd have to email Senator Martin's office and ask the same question.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I hate asking redundant questions, but, what the heck, I'll do it anyway.

I'm puzzled by the assertion that felons would be allowed to carry guns. It is possible that a small difference exists between the disqualifications for possession of a gun in SC and for getting a CWP. If so, why?

If you cannot trust a felon to carry a gun, how can you possibly trust him to possess one? This is a dumb argument. Either you can trust felons or you cannot.

People with mental problems pass background checks all the time. What makes anyone think that a person who has a mental problem, passes a background check to purchase a gun, takes a silly little course, and gets a CWP is any less dangerous than a mental case that doesn't do all that?

In other States, one may purchase a gun, load it, stick it into a holster and carry it around in the open, scaring nuns and children, without any government training or permission. No chaos has been recorded in those states.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
SC is terrified of "those people" being allowed to carry guns, and will have to be dragged kicking and screaming towards freedom in this regard.

This legacy stems all the way back to the founding, when SC's elites feared unruly Scots-Irish backcountry folk, slave rebellions, and Indians. The legacy was re-emphasized through the Jim Crow era with laws intended to disarm minorities. SC was among the last states to adopt "shall issue" when that wave crossed the non-ban states back in the 90s. The legacy continues today, empowered by bigots like Jake Knotts.

There is a significant cultural difference between SC's aristocratic plantation heritage and the respect for individual freedom seen in places like the mountain west and parts of New England where Con Carry has really taken off. Even though there are few plantations in SC today, there is definitely a strong desire to stratify society into "those people" and the elite, and to tell others how to live their lives. Regrettably I predict SC will be one of the slower states to adopt Con Carry.

NGIB

Active Fanatic
To me, a logical first step is to get open carry with a permit as I have currently in GA. I rarely OC but I am allowed to do so and it facilitates "sloppy conceal" which I do a lot...

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Weird.

some assaults, criminal misconduct, administering poison with intent to kill, bank robbery, burglary, some levels of manufacturing illegal drugs, dog fighting and incest.

are not catagorized as "violent crimes". Apparently they are ok with these people being in possession of guns, just not carrying them... At least that they know of. :roll:

http://www.thestate.com/2014/02/19/3277 ... atthestate

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
NGIB said:
To me, a logical first step is to get open carry with a permit as I have currently in GA. I rarely OC but I am allowed to do so and it facilitates "sloppy conceal" which I do a lot...

I actually agree. We got to where we are one step at a time. I welcome any clean legislation that restores rights without any poison pills.