Would you rather have a 1911 in 9mm or .45 Pros and Con?

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
I've owned many 9mm, 10mm and 45 ACP 1911's. I love them all. I've always been a 45 guy but after trying 9mm from several manufacturers, the reduced recoil and speed cannot be matched.

I carry a full size 45 and a 380 micro but I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 9mm that has proven reliable. That's the key word there, reliable. In the 1911 platform, there is less wiggle room for it to operate reliably because there is less power to operate the gun. Some operate well out of the box, some need a little work to be reliable. In my opinion, Kimber makes one of the best out of the box 9mm full size 1911's I've run. They also run one of the heaviest recoil springs which probably helps to reliably chamber the next round. I can't speak to Tisas specifically.

In unobstructed close quarters where 99% of defense shootings outside your home will likely happen, I like the 45. Apples to apples ammo, it's going to put a much bigger permanent wound channel in your attacker. To defend my home where it's more likely that multiple people may try to break in, and a ton of obstacles to shoot around, I prefer a double stack 9mm.

I only went 10mm because I really wanted a 40 cal and 40 S&W in a 1911 is very scarce. Nothing against the cartridge, I've owned 6 from 3 manufacturers and am looking at another currently, 6" double stack. It shines with longer barrels and at longer distances. That said, RIA is the only 10mm 1911 manufacturer I've had experienced with that hasn't had a bunch of reliability issues out of the box. But that's just my experience. I'm going to give Girsan a try this time.

It's also worth mentioning that 45 ACP in a 6" barrel significantly reduces the recoil. I love my 6" Kimber Stainless Target Long Slide in 45 ACP.

I think everyone should own one of all 3. Each has its benefits.

Last edited:

PaperSniper10x

Fanatic
I keep going back and forth on the new 1911 -

I just shot my friends Tisa 1911 that was chambered in 9mm, and I must say it was awesome.

The ability to limit recoil, and having a few extra rounds was great.

Are there any other pro's and cons I'm overlooking when considering a 9mm vs a .45 for the 1911 platform?

I feel that shot placement is always more important than stopping power necessarily.
Had, I not had the privilege to belong to an organization in which shooting a high powered caliber (.357) in a long massive amounts of time & round count, I would be right up there with the 9mm shot placement crowd. Rightfully so.
But because Someone else saw fit to invest in my personal training & all I had to do was apply myself fully.
I was able & am able to maintain speed & shot placement with the Additional power factor of God's Caliber or Jeff Coopers Caliber lol. 10mm.
Invest in yourself for 2 months.
Then a box or two every other week as needed or as desired to maintain.
Not gonna lie.
Physical fitness/cardio can make or break your results.
Yea, I know.
This is the short answer, my friend Lol

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Like them both but range days and competition definitely 9mm for the most part, mix in some 45 acp, if you can absolutely have both, price of ammo definitely a factor, 9's gonna be around 7-8 bucks a box cheaper +/-. Pros and cons the usual. The explosion of double stack 1911's in 9mm not 45 speaks to the popularity of 9mm, I'm not sure any still made in 45 unless a special order from custom makers. Anyway don't worry about getting a 1911 in 9mm, I don't think the good Lord will frown on you, but if you decide to get a 45 will he smile a little, maybe.

grainfed

Fanatic
Double stack .45's.........FNX 45 and FN 545. I prefer a hammer over a striker. Tried the 545 and did all I could do to get the grit out of the trigger pull. Had SOME success polishing the striker parts, spring, etc. but finally decided to sell it. No regrets. FNX 45 is quite the weapon.

Marked

New Fanatic
WHY limit yourself to only 2 options since there are a lot more, Let's see there is, 10mm, 45 acp, 40 S&w, 38 Super, yes the 9mm, the 22tcm, 22 LR, 380acp, a few odd ball, rounds as well 460, 45 mag, lots of choices, including 357mag (coon)

Latest posts