1976 Disaster movie relevant today

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
We recently watched an old movie, "Two Minute Warning", on Netflix. It was a mediocore flick, yet I found it unsettlingly relevant today and maybe a bit prophetic.

The plot revolves around a shooter who perches himself in a sniper's nest at a football stadium. There are numerous subplots about the characters who become victims when the shooting starts. The focus is on the victims and not the shooter. The shooter remains anonymous and his motives are unknown. His face is not shown until the very end.

The shooter does not have an assault rifle. Instead it is a Remington 742 Gamemaster rifle modified with a 20 round magazine, which police chief Charlton Heston quickly identifies.

And my point is? Even 35 years ago before mass shootings were much less fequent than now, this movie depicted how one person with a rifle and high capacity magazine could inflict so much carnage. This was at a time when civilian owned AR-15, AK 47, and SKS rifles were uncommon. The shooter used a semi-auto rifle primarilly designed for hunting to commit his crime.

I can foresee how the anti-gun movement could call for the ban of not just "assault" rifles, but all semi-auto rifles. It would be a logical tactic because of the difficulty of defining what an assault rifle is.

mlr1m

Fanatic
We recently watched an old movie, "Two Minute Warning", on Netflix. It was a mediocore flick, yet I found it unsettlingly relevant today and maybe a bit prophetic.

The plot revolves around a shooter who perches himself in a sniper's nest at a football stadium. There are numerous subplots about the characters who become victims when the shooting starts. The focus is on the victims and not the shooter. The shooter remains anonymous and his motives are unknown. His face is not shown until the very end.

The shooter does not have an assault rifle. Instead it is a Remington 742 Gamemaster rifle modified with a 20 round magazine, which police chief Charlton Heston quickly identifies.

And my point is? Even 35 years ago before mass shootings were much less fequent than now, this movie depicted how one person with a rifle and high capacity magazine could inflict so much carnage. This was at a time when civilian owned AR-15, AK 47, and SKS rifles were uncommon. The shooter used a semi-auto rifle primarilly designed for hunting to commit his crime.

I can foresee how the anti-gun movement could call for the ban of not just "assault" rifles, but all semi-auto rifles. It would be a logical tactic because of the difficulty of defining what an assault rifle is.
That is the ultimate goal of the assault rifle ban. Once in place it is a simple matter to add other qualifications to the list of evil properties. Those in favor of restrictions used to point out that the Founding fathers never meant to allow full auto weapons. Now they have added semi auto to what the founders never intended. Bolt actions will be next. No wait they are already trying for them too. They call the bolt guns sniper rifles.

Michael

dennishoddy

My first centerfire after getting out of the Army was a 742.

I agree that they are after the black rifles first, and when that happens, the rest will follow.

Blue'd, and a wood stock, hunting gun. Black plastic stock on the same gun makes it a weapon of mass destruction.

Latest posts