Accidental Discharge at Charlotte NC Gun Show

thehammer69

Well-Known Fanatic
Im starting to that the awesome AR deal he offered almost 3 months ago was to inject capital into his business and hopefully be able to produce the promised ARs later.

Oh, and wtf was his employee doing with a loaded gun at a gunshow?

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
I lOVE newspapers that DO NOT SHARE the news....it like they are ....useless...

You must be logged in to access this feature.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/reg-bin/tin ... rylink=cpy

here's a link that works::
http://www.wbtv.com/story/19319930/sc-m ... police-say

Posted: Aug 20, 2012 10:50 AM EDT Updated: Aug 20, 2012 10:54 AM EDT
By Nick Needham - email

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

A Fort Mill man accidentally shot himself in the hand at a local gun show Sunday.

Police responded to the Metrolina Expo at 9:52 a.m. on the 7100 block of Statesville Road in north Charlotte, according to the report from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

The Dixie Gun & Knife Classic Show took place at the exposition center over the weekend.

Eric Kinsinger, 40, of Fort Mill, suffered minor injuries when he shot himself in the hand with a Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handgun.

He was transported to Carolinas Medical Center for treatment.

Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Ouch! Sounds like it removed a finger or two and a chunk of his hand. Round was stopped by a display monitor nearby.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
.40 S&W round, eh? Way to go...

just more ammo for those who want gun shows to go the way of the DoDo birds. :roll:

Problem is that when someone does it right, it never makes the news, unless its some 80 year old grandma who stops a mugger with her purse gat.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i was at a charlotte gun show when everything froze for a silent second. someone accidently fired an AK or SKS straight up into the concrete ceiling.

Nerdwithguns

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is the post from KGB's Facebook page.

"Before any of you hear through the gun forums or other media outlets, I want to get the record straight. Before the Gun Show started this morning in Charlotte, our own Eric made a horrible mistake and discharged a live .40 S&W round through his right hand and into our slide show monitor. As I type this, Eric is undergoing surgery to amputate what remains of one of his fingers and part of his hand. I was sitting a few feet from the shot and the room was full of vendors and their family. Everyone is lucky that this was the worst of the incident. The outcome could have been far worse. No one realizes what could have happened and no one feels sorrier about it than Eric. It was simply a lapse in concentration that everyone should take notice of. It only takes one error in judgement for tragic accidents like this to happen and Eric will suffer for this mistake for the rest of his life. I hope that you will keep him and his family in your thoughts while he recovers. After the Police concluded their paperwork, we loaded everything up and left the show this morning to meet with his family and to offer support. Luckily, my computer monitor stopped the round from doing further harm to anyone there. It just goes to show that no matter what your experience level is with firearms, you can NEVER skip even one step or rule concerning proper firearms handling."

Here is the explanation of what happened.

"He had just arrived to help us out at our tables, he brought in his carry sidearm since it is one that I have refinished in the past to show an example of our work. It appears that he changed mags from a loaded one to an empty one at some point because when he went to check clear to install the zip tie, that's when the shot was fired. In no way am I saying that I think this was accidental. It was pure negligence on his part. He's my friend and partner in the business but this was plain old dangerous negligence. He carries one in the chamber always on the Sigma .40 and neglected to eject that round. When he dropped the gun on the table, the slide was locked back with an empty mag in it.

There will be no legal issues with this, the police classified it as an accidental discharge, took statements, confiscated his firearm(will return when he goes to pick it up) and took some pics of the bits of hand and mass amounts of blood that were present still.

As far as our status with Dixie Gun Shows, I have already heard that he was banned permanently and on my companies status I will find out in a few days. I couldn't blame Missy a bit if she never allowed me back in the place but I hope she will.

His negligence is something that he and I will discuss heavily once he starts to heal. I just heard he came out of surgery a few minutes ago and is resting in recovery right now. I doubt seriously that I can ever trust him fully around a gun again, thankfully he usually only does marketing and office related tasks anyway. I do all of the actual work and handling of firearms in the shop. His dealings with our firearms was limited only to his personal guns and ours when we were at shows."

Nerdwithguns

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is an update he posted on another forum he is a member of.

"Thanks for all the support. I would like to update you all on the latest news today. I spoke with Missy from Dixie Gun Shows and my company is not allowed to have any tables from now on due to insurance reasons. I fully expected this and respect Missy for the way she handled this during our conversation. She is very understanding and regrets the way things turned out as do I, but the fact is, he was helping me at my tables, therefore I am ultimately the one who will suffer through a tremendous loss of business. I still plan on running my schedule of C&E Shows in Raleigh, Fayetteville, Concord & Charlotte. I assure everyone that I will personally handle all of the security of our firearms that will be brought into the buildings. There will be no doubt in my mind anymore whether or not one of my people's guns are safe. I have also worked out agreements with a few other vendors/dealers to display some of my work on their tables and in most cases, I will be there alone to answer any questions or schedule jobs. Eric's mistake was tragic but he is recovering at home now and I hope that his real job doesn't go away due to this event. Again, thanks to all of you for understanding and offering words of encouragement. Please be careful out there."

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
When he went to rack the slide to install the zip tie, how did the gun go off? Unless... the booger hook was on the bang switch :?

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd like to propose another rule of gun safety:
Never take a carry gun out of its holster unless someone needs shooting or you are consciously performing a required administrative action in a safe environment (i.e. clearing the weapon before entering a gun free zone).

Why in John Moses Browning's name would your going out the door gameplan be using a loaded carry gun as a demo piece to show off your mad gunsmithing skills? That is planning to Epic Fail.

Seriously, as John Canuck said... Booger hook off bang switch, and stop touching it.

Nerdwithguns

Well-Known Fanatic
I was as KGB on Wednesday and talked to Neil about what happened. For some unknown reason Eric was holding the gun in his left hand, his none shooting hand, and attempting to pull the slide back with his right so he could put a zip tie in. While trying to grip with his left hand his booger hook did go inside the trigger guard. The slide slipped from his right hand and he stated to drop the gun. He automatically grabbed tighter with his left had to prevent if from dropping, and pulled the trigger at that time. After looking at everything this is the only way Neil could see that it happened. That particular Smith & Wesson has a very hard trigger pull, it is one of it's selling points, so he really had to pull hard to make it fire. One thing Neil could not understand is why Eric did not remove the round from the chamber of the gun when he removed the full magazine before he entered the building.

They were going to display the gun as an example of the duracoating that they do at the shop.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess security at the gun shows don't clear the vendors' guns upon entry, only the visitors? I imagine that would be a huge task.

Latest posts