Age to Purchase hand gun and rifles in SC

Nerdwithguns

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all
I was trying to find out how old a person has to be to purchase a rifle in SC and came across a news report from April 2008. It is on Wltx web site and states that Governor Sanford signed a law lowering the age to 18 for handguns. Does anyone know if this is true, I thought the age was 21.
Thanks

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Age to purchase a handgun is 21 per federal law. Age to possess a handgun in SC is 18. You can own one at 18 you just can't buy one. Typical government logic at work.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
TheSwampFox said:
Age to purchase a handgun is 21 per federal law. Age to possess a handgun in SC is 18. You can own one at 18 you just can't buy one. Typical government logic at work.

The age to purchase from an FFL is 21. I'm aware of no federal law that prohibits an individual who does not hold a FFL from transferring or selling a firearm to an individual under the age of 21 but over the age of 18. So theoretically one could buy a handgun in a private sale, could they not? Likewise, for rifles the minimum age to purchase from an FFL is 18 years. I'm not sure about private sales there.

There could be South Carolina law that is more restrictive than the federal law. I'm not as well read on the SC particulars.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Nerdwithguns said:
Hi all
I was trying to find out how old a person has to be to purchase a rifle in SC and came across a news report from April 2008. It is on Wltx web site and states that Governor Sanford signed a law lowering the age to 18 for handguns. Does anyone know if this is true, I thought the age was 21.
Thanks

18 to purchase handguns in SC from a private party. (Section 16-23-30)

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/query.p...id=7062874&result_pos=0&keyval=340&numrows=10

Unfortunately Federal law prohibits a dealer from selling a handgun or handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&node=27:3.0.1.2.3&idno=27#27:3.0.1.2.3.6.1.9

So, it will have to be a private sale or gift for both ammo and the handgun. Keep an eye on the Firearms for Sale forum - I doubt many members here would have a problem with a legal sale to you - I certainly wouldn't.

Latest posts