competitive shooting

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
What would be the easiest and most economic competitive shooting style for a beginner? I am considering getting into the sport, but have no experience shooting competitivly. My pistol skillls are terrible and rifle so so. I have been thinking on starting out with tactical rifle, but just wanted to hear what the experts think. I have a basic rifle to use with mags, a couple of ways to carry mags, and an Aimpoint optic. My pistol is a G19 I do nothave a shotgun that would work for competition.

Thanks

Sorry about posting in the general section I didn't know which competition forumn to post in for my question.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Post wherever you want. Our moderators don't do jack about it anyways.

Steel challenge is the easiest and cheapest but also the least exciting.

If you want to try uspsa or 3 gun buy ammo and try my guns before you go spend $ on gear.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Where are you located? IDPA may be the cheapest for guns and gear. You probably already have everything. There is a two gun match in Broken Arrow, rifle and pistol. Limited gear and ammo needed for that competition.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
shot the match at heartland with the gun you got.. you don't have to buy anything.. easy way to at least get an idea of what comp. shooting is.... 1st and 3rd sunday..

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Post wherever you want. Our moderators don't do jack about it anyways.
Steel challenge is the easiest and cheapest but also the least exciting.
shot the match at heartland with the gun you got.. you don't have to buy anything.. easy way to at least get an idea of what comp. shooting is.... 1st and 3rd sunday..

I agree with Jesse (gawd, that hurts to say) Steel Challenge is the easiest to learn and probably safest to learn

After you get more comfortable with the process and range commands Heartland is the place to go.

Lucky for you they are both THIS weekend

OKCGC Steel Challenge

Heartland Carry Gun Match

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
if you don't have one, you'll need a holster, but I'll bet someone on here would let you borrow one for the match

JoesGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
if you don't have one, you'll need a holster, but I'll bet someone on here would let you borrow one for the match

I have a holster you can use. I will be at the steel challenge match this weekend. I can also loan you a few mags if you need them to shoot the match.

Let me know.

Joe

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
What would be the easiest and most economic competitive shooting style for a beginner? I am considering getting into the sport, but have no experience shooting competitivly. My pistol skillls are terrible and rifle so so. I have been thinking on starting out with tactical rifle, but just wanted to hear what the experts think. I have a basic rifle to use with mags, a couple of ways to carry mags, and an Aimpoint optic. My pistol is a G19 I do nothave a shotgun that would work for competition.

Thanks

Sorry about posting in the general section I didn't know which competition forumn to post in for my question.

I have to agree with what's already been said here and would like to add that only thing you really need to do is jump in and try any of these games. There are lots of us here that are happy to loan gear so that the cost to get going gets pretty reasonable. DO NOT let a lack of experience stop you from shooting competitively. My only regret is that I waited a long time to get started. You will find that this community is one of the finest that you will ever come across. I'm also in Moore and happy to help with anything I can.

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the information. I'm busy this weekend but will try to attend the next one at Heartland.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I have to agree with what's already been said here and would like to add that only thing you really need to do is jump in and try any of these games. There are lots of us here that are happy to loan gear so that the cost to get going gets pretty reasonable. DO NOT let a lack of experience stop you from shooting competitively. My only regret is that I waited a long time to get started. You will find that this community is one of the finest that you will ever come across. I'm also in Moore and happy to help with anything I can.

Listen to Rusty. First of all he is a semi-pro. Second, he is very scary :D