lead wipes

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
well after reading this thread
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139576&st=25&p=1615569&hl=lead%20poisoning&fromsearch=1&#entry1615569

and reading how high some people's lead levels were, i figured i wouldn't screw around with my health.... at longer matches i will eat and need to wipe my hands off with wipes that eliminate lead.. the only ones i could find were...
http://www.amazon.com/Hygenall-LeadOff-Wipes/dp/B004FOI5RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346031719&sr=8-1&keywords=lead+wipes

and at 25 dollars, i figured i could get some cheaper..

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I really wouldn't worry about it unless you are casting bullets or reloading a ton of lead bullets by hand.

dennishoddy

Its the vapors from the lead that are the most dangerous, but I wouldn't take any chances.
I'd think baby wipes would work just as well, but I don't know what the difference in price may be. No baby's around this house in awhile.

Probably good advise.

Clucky C

9mm
I'd think baby wipes would work just as well,

I did a little googling trying to find the list of ingredients in the Lead Wipes that would make them different from other wipes. I could not find list of ingredients anywhere; however it stated it "breaks the electromagnetic bond between skin and Lead".

I carry a little travel size pack of "Wet Ones" (around 20 in pack, $1 @ WalMart) in my range bag. I wipe my arms & hands every so often. Maybe it removes lead, maybe not...but at least I smell fresh.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I have heard somewhere that the worst part of lead exposure during reloading wasn't casting but the case tumbling. Maybe that was on the power factor show, I don't remember.

But I believe it as it would be pretty easy for the particals of lead in your media and off the brass to hit the air and you to breath it in. I try to minimize my lead exposure in enclosed area if I tumbled, id do it outside.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the only thing to worry about concerning lead is the ingestion through the air in your lungs or through food in your stomach. That is why they outlawed Lead Paint in the early 1970's. I would think that as long as you wash your hands vigorously with soap and Hot water, for about 30 seconds, before you eat, you shouldn't have to worry about eating enough lead to cause any problems. The 30 second rule is easily accomplished by singing Happy Birthday to yourself while washing your hands. That's how I was taught to wash my hands as a kid. :) I keep some "Grease Monkey Wipes" in my truck and range bag and they will get almost any Petroleum based gunk off in nothing flat.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the point of the wipes are for when there's not running water or washing stations.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
How about a box of rubber gloves or food prep gloves? those are pretty cheap.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
How about a box of rubber gloves or food prep gloves? those are pretty cheap.
For reloading and cleaning, latex or nitrile rubber gloves are a good idea.
For clean up during and after a match sans soap and water, baby wipes work well.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
For reloading and cleaning, latex or nitrile rubber gloves are a good idea.
For clean up during and after a match sans soap and water, baby wipes work well.

I'm talking about Benji wearing gloves for his quick snack during the match.

While they may be "a good idea" for reloading & cleaning, they'd also be a pain in the ass.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
A pack of D-Lead hand wipes is $5 from Dillon Precision. Just throw one or two in with your next order.

E: Also the bullet isn't the only source of lead in ammunition. There is lead (and/or other heavy metals) in primers that can get on your hands too. IDK if it's enough to really worry about, but a $5 thing of hand wipes in a shooting bag is cheap insurance.

Latest posts