Shotgun clays shooting safety

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
When shooting rifle and pistol, I always know what's behind and around my target. Shooting clays in the air opens up a lot of area that the shot could fall in. I'd never shoot a pistol or rifle cartridge up in the air. At what distance would the shot falling and hitting something do no damage? If I'm out shooting clays and there's a house/barn/livestock 300 yards away, if the shot were to travel that far, is there any risk? What's the maximum distance shot can travel with any trajectory? I imagine if I'm shooting at 45 degrees the shot could travel a decent distance.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been peppered by some of my idiot extended family pheasant hunting several times with 6 shot at about 100 yards. No damage to me or the truck I ducked behind. Not exactly scientific, but I would say over 100 yards you will small shot (7.5 or above) you should be fine.

dennishoddy

I have shot at trap ranges where one shoots directly at farmsteads, interstate highways, trains, etc. All these are, of course, well outside the shot fall zone. So, while it feels a little odd, it is not dangerous. As for your hunting situation, here is some info on maximum shot flight distance to determine what is safe. This is for lead shot - hevishot, steel, etc. would be different.

From http://www.rangeinfo.org
A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, guys. Seems I should be shooting safely if there's 300 yards between myself and the objects in question shooting with small shot.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
From http://www.rangeinfo.org
A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.

No. 2 - 330 yards
No. 4 - 286 yards
No. 6 - 242 yards
No. 7 1/2- 209 yards
No. 8 - 198 yards

Dennis,
Is this calculation of "maximum range" the maximum range a pellet would travel or the maximum range the shot would be dangerous/deadly, or the maximum range of what?
I am asking because in my quail hunting experience i have only once ever seen a bird put down outside of about 90 yards, and their skin/exterior is not nearly as tough as a dogs, or a humans.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis,
Is this calculation of "maximum range" the maximum range a pellet would travel or the maximum range the shot would be dangerous/deadly, or the maximum range of what?
I am asking because in my quail hunting experience i have only once ever seen a bird put down outside of about 90 yards, and their skin/exterior is not nearly as tough as a dogs, or a humans.

Seems like all their feathers would provide a decent level of protection once you start getting other there.

dennishoddy

That is maximum distance traveled by the shot. Maximum effective range would be 30-50 yds.
I know we all have seen the occasional hail Mary long shot take a bird down at longer than 50 with smaller lead shot, but that's not the norm.
Turkey and waterfowl hunters using heavy shot, or tungsten loads, and super tight chokes have stretched it out to 60 yds. Those would fly further than lead as they are heavier.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I hit a coyote in the butt with a 3.5 magnum turkey load with an XXF choke at about 60 yards and all he did was hop a bit and keep going.

Motojunkie

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been peppered by 7.5 shot at about 30 yards and it didn't go through my clothes. It certainly activated my pissed off mode though... :p

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
That is maximum distance traveled by the shot. Maximum effective range would be 30-50 yds.
I know we all have seen the occasional hail Mary long shot take a bird down at longer than 50 with smaller lead shot, but that's not the norm.
Turkey and waterfowl hunters using heavy shot, or tungsten loads, and super tight chokes have stretched it out to 60 yds. Those would fly further than lead as they are heavier.
That's what I was thinking,
The guys I grew up hunting with all said "after 80yds you might as well shove that shotgun up your ***, then, at least you will be able to feel it, cause that bird won't."
So are you saying, Not counting the 1 in 1000 we have all seen, that the optimum/maximum range, using heaviest shot, highest powder load, longest barrel, fullest choke, a shotgun is good to consistently is about 60yds?

I can't make mine perform past about 35 or 40yds consistently. That's all my own fault, not the guns.

dennishoddy

So are you saying, Not counting the 1 in 1000 we have all seen, that the optimum/maximum range, using heaviest shot, highest powder load, longest barrel, fullest choke, a shotgun is good to consistently is about 60yds?

I can't make mine perform past about 35 or 40yds consistently. That's all my own fault, not the guns.

I certainly wouldn't take a shot at 60yds on a turkey even with hevi-shot, but if the shot column stays fairly close, it can kill a turkey with a head shot at that range. I've seen shotguns with the XXfull chokes put a decent pattern with enough pellets to kill a turkey, but its shooting through paper. Too risky of a shot for me to take.But, it has been done. Hang out on some of the turkey forums, and at least they tell the story of taking one at 60yds. Personally I think they need to put fresh battery's in their range finders.
The sport of turkey hunting for me is about how close you can call them, to make a clean kill.
Like you, I'll stay within 30-40 yards.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I personally feel if you can't call a turkey in any closer than 60 yards you shouldnt be allowed to shoot it. :) I've never had a shot longer than 25 yards since I've been hunting them.

Coyotes on the other hand...I've seen too many 1-2 week old calves drug off by them. I'll take a pot shot at a coyote any day, I'd for no more than to scare it off.

JTMaddox

Well-Known Fanatic

I assume this formula is only accurate while moving backwards in retreat?

Latest posts