Stars Earn Stripes

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I haven't seen this show. I don't plan on seeing this show. I just wanted to share a review of it and ask for thoughts.

Looked at cynically, this is an attempt to exploit positive feelings about the military and widely held respect for the people in it to prop up a dumb competition show (also hosted by actual military person General Wesley Clark) that insults real service by playing in the mud and calling it combat. But even looked at generously, it's a well-intentioned, agonizingly slow-moving dud that, at least in tonight's debut, stretches what might make about ten minutes of good television into two hours of everyone competing to see who can say the most positive, most admiring things about those who serve.

Right before, of course, confusing that service with mucking about on a game show.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/08/13/158694331/stars-earn-stripes-its-offensive-but-at-least-its-boring?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20120813

Also, in the words of a soldier elsewhere in Internetland:

Stars Earn Stripes should just be hour long episodes of celebrities trying in vain to apply tourniquets to themselves while bleeding to death after the vehicle they were riding in was hit by an IED. **** television. I was literally physically repulsed when I saw the ads for that show during the Olympics.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with the quote... er, both of them.

I was forcibly reminded of that old gem "The Running Man," every time I saw the commercials.

B

Beau

here is a good review from one of my favorite YouTube channels action figure therapy. its pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgddDS-jbE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Wait. I'm confused.... So playing an action star in the movies isn't the same as being a hard chargin DevilDog? Huh, who woulda thunk it.

Hitokiri03

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw that video this morning. I found it pretty funny. I also saw a post by Travis Haley saying that he was originally on board for the show when Mark Burnnett told him the original idea. However, during a meeting in Hollywood, Travis discovered that the plan for the show had changed, so he got in an argument with the producers, ended the meeting, and flew back home. Sounds like he made a smart move.

Hitokiri03

Well-Known Fanatic
True, but I would venture to say the profit margin on the show would have allowed for greater donations, but at least they are getting something.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I saw that video this morning. I found it pretty funny. I also saw a post by Travis Haley saying that he was originally on board for the show when Mark Burnnett told him the original idea. However, during a meeting in Hollywood, Travis discovered that the plan for the show had changed, so he got in an argument with the producers, ended the meeting, and flew back home. Sounds like he made a smart move.

I just imagined Travis threatening to "dynamically problem solve YOUR FACE" and laughed.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
Watched the trailer and am reminded of two things:

1. Wes Clark was known as the Prince of Darkness by his Brigade Staff.

2. The Army never nominated him for a star, the State Department (Madelain Albright) under billy boy did.

Latest posts