This kinda stuff never happens to me

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
OMG! A Gun! They Delivered a Gun Instead of a TV! OMG!

Simple story. Guy orders a TV from Amazon. Delivery company drops a $2,132 SIG716 Patrol Rifle?outside his apartment door. Seth Horvitz?opens the box, freaks out and calls the D.C. police. Cops take the gun. Amazon stays stum. His?local Fox affiliate?resists calling the SIG an assault rifle but ipso facto it?s a big deal. Just in case you missed the duh-duh-DUH, the web editor adds a statement from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership Violence: ?Clearly, it?s a dangerous situation in America when assault weapons are so prevalent and can so easily end up in the wrong hands, especially given that the rifle was left on the doorstep. Thank goodness, Mr. Horvitz and his wife alerted the Metropolitan police right away. This mishap could have led to another tragedy.? Can someone please give the Brady Bunch something important to worry about? [h/t to MP]
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -a-tv-omg/

So Amazon is shipping complete firearms now? To your doorstep? I need to find out what kind of TV that was and order one myself.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like it was a third party vendor mistake. Amazon took the order for the TV, transferred the money, and the vendor shipped the product to the wrong house.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
PCShogun said:
Sounds like it was a third party vendor mistake. Amazon took the order for the TV, transferred the money, and the vendor shipped the product to the wrong house.
Yeah, but in what world does any FFL ship to a house (C&R excluded)?

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
Good point. I imagine the FFL who was waiting for his rifle was equally confused about how to load a magazine into the flat screen TV he just received.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Just to point out the really strange part:
Seth Horvitz?opens the box, freaks out and calls the D.C. police.

What would you do? I supposed once the mistake was realized, if it hadn't been called in, the gun would probably end up on the Stolen list. I would probably classify this sort of occurence as Extremely Rare. But of course, great fodder for the Gun Grabbers.

beerman

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd call Amazon and report it. I'd also try really hard not to play with the gun, or even touch it. Then depending on what Amazon says I'm not sure if one would be obligated to report to the police or what. That's a very, very rare occurrence I'd bet.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
The DC police are the last people I would call. I'm surprised that poor guy didn't get arrested.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
If Amazon or the intended recipient had notified them first, I bet a SWAT team would have come knocking. That would NOT be very good. :?

Best to get ahold of the local authorities first and have them come over. Preferably without them knowing about the weapon first so you can explain what happened before showing them. By pointing at the box and letting them look inside, if I'd had my way. Kind of like playing Hot Potato! :lol:

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Gets me thinking:

1) Couldn't the dealer lose his FFL for something like this?

2) Does the delivery service (UPS, etc) not know what's in the box? You would think they know not to deliver a gun to a non FFL address. Or maybe not. Isn't there a signature required, or is dropping a gun on the doorstep - even at an FFL - commonplace?

3) Stick a return label on it like any other package.

4) Post an ad in lost and found. :)

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like the address labels or upc codes got mixed up. Should've taped the box back up, called UPS to inform them he received the wrong package and to come get it so they could return it to the sender. Also notify the third party that sold him the TV so they could send another one.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like another Government Plot to me....

Just another slam at gun ownership...but...maybe I just don't trust our Government...

Steve

Gr8shot

Well-Known Fanatic
Saw this on the news last night. They interviewed this guy, what a putz. Typical limp wristed, bleeding heart, effeminate liberal douchebag. Made me want to puke just listening to him.