what happens if

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i set up a mock USPSA stage in backyard and i am dry firing it and someone sees it and calls the police??

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Tell them you are playing AIRSOFT and show them your orange tip :)

Actually I thought about that too and have wondered the same thing. I'm interested in the answers from others as well

dennishoddy

Call your local city Attorney and ask them.
When living in town years ago I had a bow range set up at my house.
LEO came by, and told me shooting a bow in town was legal, but I had to use my house as the backstop per city ordinance. Running around your yard with a gun might get a different response, even though unloaded.
Contact the guy. Your taxes are paying their salary.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have an array set up in my backyard, but I don't care if my neighbors see me practicing, or call the police. It's my property. Isn't it just the same as taking a hunting rifle out of your car in your driveway? i.e., not a problem at all.

dennishoddy

I have an array set up in my backyard, but I don't care if my neighbors see me practicing, or call the police. It's my property. Isn't it just the same as taking a hunting rifle out of your car in your driveway? i.e., not a problem at all.

Its not a problem to you, but might be a problem with folks letting their kids out in the yard to play with a guy running a gun around the yard across the alley.
Its my opinion only, but we need to be considerate of others that might not understand what is going on. Maybe a visit with them to explain whats going on is in order?
Knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Yet, I'd still go talk to the city attorney.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
An Airsoft gun works pretty good for this. Great weight & feel.
You can do draws, mag changes, practice shooting coming into the box etc...
I have one that's a pretty close copy of my 2011.

45recoil

likes to party
...or you go big....snow boots, tighty whiteys, a poncho, cowboy hat and gun gear on with theme song from the good the bad and the ugly blaring. Swing open the poncho, draw and say "BABG BANG....ping!!!" .

I'm sure the neighbors will leave you alone.

The Antichrome

Big difference between carrying and running/jumping/pointing/clicking.

I asked my lawyer this question. His answer was "You cant fix stupid"

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
If you have a well-put-together stockade fence, anyone who would see you practicing would have to be at a higher elevation, either due to the lay of the land or invading your privacy, or they'd have to be close enough to see clearly through the slats, also invading your privacy.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
If you have a well-put-together stockade fence, anyone who would see you practicing would have to be at a higher elevation, either due to the lay of the land or invading your privacy, or they'd have to be close enough to see clearly through the slats, also invading your privacy.

someone would definitely have to purposefully look over my fence to see me, no doubt about that.. i just didn't want to assume even if someone was invading my property that i would get into trouble...

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
You know ... I live in town, so all our neighbors are pilled on top of everyone. If I looked out my window and saw one of my neighbors doing a USPSA or some other dry fire drill, I'd probably grab my gun and go join him. heh

The Antichrome

Free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it;-)

Now, my opinion.
You know your backyard, your neighbors, your neighborhood.
If you have a private and secluded backyard, neighbors that mind their own business, and a low crime neighborhood free of busybodies and exploring children, thats one thing. But if you live in my hood, its prob different.
(I wouldnt even want my neighbors to know that I have a lot of $ in firearms)

If you have doubts, then you probably already know the answer.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Don't be a puss by just staying in the backyard. Do some shoot from car scenerios out front too! I want to see exactly what happens if the neighbors find out.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't be a puss by just staying in the backyard. Do some shoot from car scenerios out front too! I want to see exactly what happens if the neighbors find out.
If you are nervous about practicing in the front yard just drink a 40 before you begin, that should help calm the nerves

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
The legality on this is suppose to change on november 1st where it basicaly becomes legal to do anything with your firearm that's not illegal, my suggestion is to point it away from where prying eyes may see you because if they do see you and your muzzle you could get nailed for felony pointing of a firearm.

From the final version of sb1733 found at http://newlsb.lsb.state.ok.us/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=sb1733

Underlined is the new legislation that takes effect nov. 1

Section 1289.6.

CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions:

1. When hunting animals or fowl;

2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;

3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;

4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;

5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes; or

6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or

7. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms.

B. A person shall be permitted to carry unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

1. When going to or from the person's private residence or vehicle or a vehicle in which the person is riding as a passenger to a place designated or authorized for firearms repairs or reconditioning, or for firearms trade, sale, or barter, or gunsmith, or hunting animals or fowl, or hunter safety course, or target shooting, or skeet or trap shooting or any recognized firearms activity or event and while in such places; or

2. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title.

C. The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit educational or recreational activities, exhibitions, displays or shows involving the use or display of rifles, shotguns or pistols or other weapons if the activity is approved by the property owner and sponsor of the activity.

Latest posts