Been seeing a few open carriers

Cano

Well-Known Fanatic
In the 3 months ive been here ive seen 3 people open carrying in plain civilian clothing.

Is this normal for some here?
Under cover police maybe?
Just curious

MCA

Well-Known Fanatic
I didn't think open carry was "legal" in SC?

Who knows...they very well could be a LEO, simply didn't care, or maybe even "conceal carrying" (poorly) OWB and you spotted it.

Hope your well Cano! Give me a call if you are ever in the Upstate.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
The only people (other than uniformed police) that I have seen open carrying in South Carolina are people on personal private property (i.e. at their homes or personal business) and plainclothes or off duty police.

Cano

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello everyone!
The ones I saw were well dressed usuall khaki pant shoes and tucked in shirt and were carrying OTW.
Probably off duty officers or maybe detectives.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
ive seen them all in Sptbg. at the gas pumps every weekday and some Saturdays for 14 years.

plain clothes usually cover up. sometimes,like winter, detectives do.

so how do you tell the difference?

ask?

i would ask them all to come shoot competition. none did.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
ive seen them all in Sptbg. at the gas pumps every weekday and some Saturdays for 14 years.

plain clothes usually cover up. sometimes,like winter, detectives do.

so how do you tell the difference?

ask?

i would ask them all to come shoot competition. none did.

That's because almost every single one of them sucks at firearms marksmanship.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
it was said that was the case, among the IPSA shooters but the city has its own range where "they" can meet.

they didnt shoot combat courses then though. i thought they would enjoy it. this was over ten years ago.

swat probably has them shooting deversified courses now.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
Do you know this as fact or are you assuming this?

I thought you were supposedly associated with law enforcement, doesn't sound very brotherly of you. :|

I supposedly shot at an associated law enforcement inservice recently. While a handful of us had perfect scores we still had many people just scrape by and several people have to shoot over and over and over again.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
Okay, first person info then. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I thought it was common knowledge. Most law enforcement agencies have very low qualification standards and only minimal initial training.

Inservice requalification is usually once per year but I've heard of agencies that don't even do it that often. At no time have I seen or heard of further classroom or dry-fire instruction with firearms. Just a "Legal Update" classroom lecture and then straight to the range and doing the same idiotic, robotic "on the whistle, fire exactly the amount of rounds I dictate, at the range I dictate, using the type of stance I dictate, the type of grip I dictate, and using the hand I dictate."

You know. Real high-speed stuff.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd call in a "man with a gun" call for an off-duty cop open carrying in SC.

I am sick of the special carve outs for some animals which are more equal than others.

911 and the responding officers can sort it out.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Midnight Raver said:
Do you know this as fact or are you assuming this?

I thought you were supposedly associated with law enforcement, doesn't sound very brotherly of you. :|

I've shot with quite a few LEOs and I have to say, only a small percentage are good shooters. Most just participate in annual quals and don't spend their own money to shoot.

I assisted with our town's officers shooting when they were starting to issue M4s to the guys and getting them zeroed and familiarized with the weapons. They WOULD NOT listen to instruction regardless of their lack of experience, considered a 10 round shot group from 50 yards in a 10" ring "good enough"...it was bad. It made me realize the "Cop with backwards EOTech picture" was definitely plausible.