Defensive Pistol Level 1 Class GIVEAWAY

D & R Gunsmithing

Well-Known Fanatic
We are giving away one FREE Defensive Pistol Level 1 class for this Saturday November 2nd. To enter to win, simply reply to this thread and a winner will be picked from the replies. You must have a valid sc cwp to enter. Cut off time for replies is 4:45pm thursday.

Winner will be contacted Thursday after 5:00pm. :p

Acecool

Well-Known Fanatic
I think it would be an honor to take on of your classes free of charge. I have a few injuries from a car accident over 2 years ago which has limited my ability to go out and really do the things I've wanted to do. Shooting remains something that I still love and have respected for many years and to have an opportunity to expand on that knowledge is always something to be grabbed a hold of.

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi
I should be free this Saturday, count me in the contest. Thanks for giving us the chance.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i cant drive that far for the class (if i were selected) but just because it confused me you mean cut off is 4:45 PM thursday right?

TheGriff

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd be interested. Just wondering how far away the range is from Moncks Corner...

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice giveaway! I will be taking my cwp class that day so good luck to whoever gets this. Is this the paraidon (spelling?) class at the B.E.L.T range

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm certainly interested. I need the instructor time with my new carry pistol (a Shield) as it looks like I'm having trigger issues (low and to the left).

If this class isn't oriented to that sort of instruction, I have other handguns I do not have that issue with.

Acecool

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
I'm certainly interested. I need the instructor time with my new carry pistol (a Shield) as it looks like I'm having trigger issues (low and to the left).

If this class isn't oriented to that sort of instruction, I have other handguns I do not have that issue with.

I made the same mistake when I first started shooting. I'd recommend snap-caps. Mix them in randomly with the ammo you are loading into your mags and load the mags blind-folded or, better yet, have a friend load them. You'll see if you're jerking / anticipating the recoil which is one of the primary issues with this.

Low left on my chart is listed as "Tightening fingers", "Jerking or slapping trigger". Bottom is "Breaking wrist down, pushing forward or drooping head". Left is "too little trigger finger".

In addition to shooting live using snap-caps to see if you're anticipating the recoil, you'll also be able to challenge your ability to detect and clear malfunctions as it "could-have-been" a real round. Follow all normal safety procedures when doing this. Alternatively and ideally the FIRST thing you do with snap caps is to practice at home. Load a single snap cap and shoot double action, pay close attention to make sure only the pad of your finger is on the trigger and that the trigger finger is all that moves. When shooting pistols you need to breathe normally; no holding your breath. Another tip is to shoot with your thumbs forward, parallel with the ground. It allows for quicker follow up shots and easier target acquisition; the same as having your strong arm almost completely straight with your supporting hand at an angle to act as a shock-absorber.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:

mike, just for the fun of it look and check the position of the front sight. my shield is shooting to the left and when i look close i can see that the sight is a fraction too far right. that would make it shoot left. i dont want to use a steel punch so im going to see if Andy has a brass punch. its pretty tight.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Should have said "trigger finger issues".

I'll look at the sights, but I think with the Shield my inexperience shooting abbreviated grip handguns is the determinative factor. My other pistol is full-size (Ruger KP89DC) and my wife's while smaller is still essentially full-sized at 3/4 scale (Sig P6) and I do not have issues with those. Using the shorter mag in the Shield for better concealability means my pinky is floating and although I'm up on the gun as far as my hand can go I might be overstuffing the trigger in the process.

Even so, at 15' I'm 2" low and 2" left and consistent with that whether I super-carefully align sight picture or I fire as soon as I have front sight on target. That's close enough that we're just talking about which organ was punctured, and with HST's I'm not sure that even matters. I would like to get it sorted to the point where my instinctive aim with this pistol is POA=POI at defensive ranges.

Basically, I think I mostly need more lead downrange with that particular handgun. But the gun was bought used so the sights may be off a tad.

D & R Gunsmithing

Well-Known Fanatic
We have our winner it's mark_b

Congrats to him.

If anyone who was interested in taking this class is still interested. Forum members can take this weeks class for $75.00 instead of the $150.00, just let me know.

Acecool

Well-Known Fanatic
Congratulations mark_b; enjoy the class and be sure to let us know how it went :)

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
UPDATE

The class was incredible. I learned new techniques and shot from positions that I was not used to. I have been shooting for many years but have never had much formal training other than my CWP class. In the CWP class I took (Not D&R), most of the focus was on safety and the laws.

The instructors Wade and Heidi, along with Michael and Lee were knowledgeable and took time with each of us whenever we had questions. We did strong and weak hand shooting, barricades, and different crouch positions to simulate shooting situations. Magazine and malfunction drills were also covered. Safety was always the first priority.

I can recommend this to everyone, and thanks again for the giveaway.

Mark

D & R Gunsmithing

Well-Known Fanatic
Mark_B getting his t-shirt after completing the D&R Gunsmithing and Sales Defensive Pistol Level 1 class on Saturday Nov. 2nd.

[ img][ /img]

The entire class...

[ img][ /img]