Guns in cars

lafayette gregory

Well-Known Fanatic
If I travel to the North - such as the liberal state of North carolina, what do I do with my weapon that is normally in the glove box?
I do not have a CCW.
Anyone know for sure.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
This might help you get started. CCW Permits are worth the hassle.
Dave

Federal Firearms Transportation Statute
The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

2. Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

For more information click here to hide federal statute below:
TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 44 ? 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver?s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. [ click here for source ]

armedpig

Well-Known Fanatic
Lay it in the front seat or on the dash. Do not slide it in between the seat and the console or whatever. If you were to get pulled over and any part of it was not visible to the officer they can get you for having a concealed weapon if they want to push the issue. If you get pulled, obviously go through the drill of putting your hands on the wheel and inform the officer you have a weapon in the car before he gets to your window. It will go better for both of you. Once you are at your destination lock it up in the vehicle.

This post is how I have always been informed the law was. It may be different for an out of state resident. I am in no way telling you this is the law so please be advised of that. You may even want to contact a NC sheriffs office or something of the equivalent to find out for sure.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
Correct on the open display if it is in the cab of the vehicle. I was with a guy many years ago and we went through a license/registration check. He pulled a revolver from under the seat and put it on the dashboard. when he got to the officer, he pointed to the weapon and handed the officer his license.
the officer nodded to the weapon and waved us through. Like it was nothing at all. I have no idea who or what they were looking for, but they didn't seem to mind as long as there was an obvious effort to obey the laws.

Having said that, The NC law states that the "accessibility" of the weapon by the driver or passenger is up to the "officers discretion" so make it hard for him to make the case that you had access to it.

And finally, I agree, if you can get the CCW, that is the very best way to go. I've been told that the police actually like to see a CCW permit. It tells them that you're one of the good guys and that you have passed a nationwide background check. You become a known quantity. I was told during my CCW training to show your permit at any police interview or traffic stop even if you're not carrying. It helps the officer evaluate you.

;)

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
I've gone through license checks and been pulled for headlight out twice and each time I've handed the officer my permit with my license and registration. You could see the change in their demeanor each time. They seemed to appreciate that they could stand down a notch cause I was up front and "vetted". I haven't been given a ticket or even a formal warning. One officer wrote out a note with his name and rank and told me to have them radio him if I got pulled before I got home. I sent a nice letter to his boss.

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Pops said:
Correct on the open display if it is in the cab of the vehicle. I was with a guy many years ago and we went through a license/registration check. He pulled a revolver from under the seat and put it on the dashboard. when he got to the officer, he pointed to the weapon and handed the officer his license.
the officer nodded to the weapon and waved us through. Like it was nothing at all. I have no idea who or what they were looking for, but they didn't seem to mind as long as there was an obvious effort to obey the laws.

Having said that, The NC law states that the "accessibility" of the weapon by the driver or passenger is up to the "officers discretion" so make it hard for him to make the case that you had access to it.

And finally, I agree, if you can get the CCW, that is the very best way to go. I've been told that the police actually like to see a CCW permit. It tells them that you're one of the good guys and that you have passed a nationwide background check. You become a known quantity. I was told during my CCW training to show your permit at any police interview or traffic stop even if you're not carrying. It helps the officer evaluate you.

;)

I am under the understanding that regardless of whether you are carrying or not you must (1)present you CWP anytime you are required to show ID, ie traffic stop or checkpoint & (2)Tell the officer that you are a CWP holder and you either are or are not carrying. Can anyone shed some light on this? It surely wont hurt, but I just want to know the facts.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a good question. With an SC CWP I would just carry it on my person while in NC. We have reciprocity with them. Otherwise I put it in my center counsel our glove compartment. That is what I do today...and I might be wrong.

Always tell and show your license to a LEO. Let them know. Don't make them come back and ask. They won't be nice.