Missed 1st steel challenge getting ready for the next one

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
OK first off I set an alarm for my steel challenge match on the second Sunday of January. I work up on Sunday all ready to go to my first match and I looked at my clock and I woke up late. I set my alarm on a weekday schedule, so I woke up at 930 when I set my alarm for 730 for the 9 start time. Now I have more experience shooting so I don't mind missing the event but it would have been nice just to go to my first steel challenge event. I now have a Safariland ELS belt system with a holster for both my Glock 19 and M&P Core. Had two single 9mm magazine pouches but I ordered the left handed ones thinking I was using my left hand to reload. Called Safariland and got a order number and sent my two magazine pouches back for right handed ones. Starting from low ready from my understanding gave you -3 seconds, so its nice being able to practice my draw safely with my finger off the trigger.

Now my first question is for my Glock 19. I will be shooting production with the 19 with; warren tactical sights,3.5 ghost trigger bar,gen4 magazine button,and gen 4 slide stop. can shoot production with this set up?
Last question is for my M&P 5" Core. Should I shoot two guns in production or use the M&P in its current state with Apex flat faced trigger kit and s.s non captured guild rod w/ 13lb ISMI spring in Limited? I am not looking to go for the fastest time sense this is my first match but I would like more experience sense matches are limited and adding one gun is just 5$ making it a 15$ total for the match.
Just thought of this question, should three 17 round magazines be fine for a match? I have seven magazines for the Glock but three for the M&P.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I dont know where youre shooting but generally club steel challenge matches are broken down by sights/type of firearm: irons and optics for centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle and sometimes revolver. So, either of you're guns would be grouped together, assuming you don't have a dot on that M&P.

3 17 round mags can work as long as you aren't ghetto blasting every string. One mag for each string is easiest though.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Pick one gun, and run it in one division. Unless you have different versions of the same gun. You should set some goals, and work toward them.

Your G19 sounds like it is set up for Production except for the magazine button, and your M&P is set up for Limited.

Steel Challenge is a drag race, but it is also very simple. 3 mags would be a minimum. You will be throwing shots if you are trying for speed instead of shooting to your ability.

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah the only reason why I was thinking of bring two guns was my Glock 19 is my EDC, and my 5"M&P core is my range/comp gun. I called the Admin of the matches and he told me I should also just shoot one gun and said the M&P will be in limited and Glock in production. The main reason of shooting two guns besides having my 19 be my carry is it only $5 extra so $15 total. I have a Safariland ELS belt with M&P 5" with light holster. Then I have a Bladetech holster for my Glock that can just clip onto the ELS belt without taking the belt off.

The Gen 4 magazine release makes it not a production gun? I am taking that every match's rules are different from each other depending on where its being held. I remember the previous owner said he had the Glock 19 set up for production competition shooting.

I just got certified for drawing from the holster at my local range and man is that a completely different feeling have a loaded gun pointed at yourself. I was really nervous at first and had a hard time just thinking and going through the steps, the AR shooter a few lanes down emptying his mag with a compensator was not helping either. After the range master went over it a few times and corrected two of my methods I started calming down and getting more and more relaxed. After 5 minutes he said I was good to go and then I was by myself and now completely relaxed. Glad I got a Safariland Els set up with holster, 2 handgun mag pouches,4 normal locking systems, 1 holster locking system, and AR mag pouch. Especially when one of the members gave me a 40% off coupon code.Down the road I might switch to a Bladetech holster for my M&P so I don't have to clear so much holster from my level 2 retention Safariland holster.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You said originally that your G19 has a mag button. Does it have a separate piece extending it, or is it just that you are calling the mag release itself a button? If it is one piece then it is Production legal.

There isn't any good reason to have a loaded gun pointed at you. You should work on that.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
"I just got certified for drawing from the holster at my local range and man is that a completely different feeling have a loaded gun pointed at yourself"

What does this mean?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk 5.3

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Your Gen 4 mag release button (I assume your G19 isn't a Gen 4 or it wouldn't be an issue) is authorized in Production per 21.6 in Appendix D. If it is a sanctioned Steel Challenge match, they can't have their own equipment rules, they have to abide by USPSA's rules on equipment division

By having a loaded gun pointed at yourself, are you referring to having a loaded gun in the holster? I'm all for competition as a way to help improve skill, but if you aren't yet comfortable having a loaded gun in the holster, you may be better served staying at the range and practicing your draw while keeping your booger hook off the bang switch than by trying to get to a SC match where, despite your best intention, you may be tempted to go faster than your skill level allows.

And if you are just now getting to the point of carrying a loaded gun, how is it your EDC pistol? Or are you one of the empty chamber folks?

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
while having the gun holstered the gun is pointed straight at my leg/foot. I cant help that. The mag release is fine because its a stock gen 4 34 part and you can use any manufacturers factory part. This forum is just full of know it all people, glad I joined BrianEnos 2 months ago much better responses over there. people are actually trying to help you instead of trying to put you down and tell you "your doing it all wrong". I was just pointing out that I was a little scared when I was first using the holster with a live gun. I pretty sure all of you guys were not 100% calm when you first started with a holster. I bought this holster set up about 2 month ago and I practice every other day, 5-10 mins with a 1 sec par time. I have been to the range 16 times sense 1-4-16 and I am still learning alot. Unlike some people I would rather gain hands on experience shooting my gun rather than reading everyone's bullshit. I have learned gun people can be some of the nicest group of people but at the same time some are very opinionated and bias becasue they spent all their money on a certain gun/s. If you go up to a Glock person and show them a Glock and a M&P they have never shot before they are most likely going to pick the Glock even before they touch the guns. Even if they shoot the M&P better they will tell you they would still get the Glock because they are Glock person. Glock may not be the best example sense all the guns are similar.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
yibomb said:
while having the gun holstered the gun is pointed straight at my leg/foot. I cant help that. The mag release is fine because its a stock gen 4 34 part and you can use any manufacturers factory part. This forum is just full of know it all people, glad I joined BrianEnos 2 months ago much better responses over there. people are actually trying to help you instead of trying to put you down and tell you "your doing it all wrong". I was just pointing out that I was a little scared when I was first using the holster with a live gun. I pretty sure all of you guys were not 100% calm when you first started with a holster. I bought this holster set up about 2 month ago and I practice every other day, 5-10 mins with a 1 sec par time. I have been to the range 16 times sense 1-4-16 and I am still learning alot. Unlike some people I would rather gain hands on experience shooting my gun rather than reading everyone's bullshit. I have learned gun people can be some of the nicest group of people but at the same time some are very opinionated and bias becasue they spent all their money on a certain gun/s. If you go up to a Glock person and show them a Glock and a M&P they have never shot before they are most likely going to pick the Glock even before they touch the guns. Even if they shoot the M&P better they will tell you they would still get the Glock because they are Glock person. Glock may not be the best example sense all the guns are similar.

Burk Cornelius said:
"I just got certified for drawing from the holster at my local range and man is that a completely different feeling have a loaded gun pointed at yourself"

What does this mean?

All I asked was what does it mean to get "certified for drawing from a holster"

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I kinda doubt you're coming back here to read responses, but in case you do, if you're doing something wrong, the best advice possible is to tell you to stop doing it wrong. Telling you it may be best to hold off on Steel Challenge until you are comfortable drawing from a holster is great advice and it comes from someone who has been shooting SC for years and has seen a huge number of new people come out and shoot faster than their skill level allows.

Maybe Enos is full of folks who will tell you "Yeah, man, that's the way. You got this. You rock". Those people are doing you a disservice. I wouldn't even want to guess at the total number of shooting years, top level finishes in a variety of shooting venues, and rounds put downrange the group on this forum represents, but it is significant. Ask and apply the advice.

Don't get butthurt if people here don't stroke your ego and validate what you are doing when it is not the best way to do things.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
All I asked was what does it mean to get "certified for drawing from a holster"
I doubt u get an answer from him, so I will. Most ranges I've been to are no holster zones. On the bench or shooting at the target. Some places will allow you to prove ur skill with a holster then become "certified" to draw from a holster and shoot. They just stand behind u and make sure ur draw stroke doesn't including muzzling the guys in the next 6 booths.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Brandon Deem said:
I doubt u get an answer from him, so I will. Most ranges I've been to are no holster zones. On the bench or shooting at the target. Some places will allow you to prove ur skill with a holster then become "certified" to draw from a holster and shoot. They just stand behind u and make sure ur draw stroke doesn't including muzzling the guys in the next 6 booths.
Not a bad idea

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
There's always internet trolls out there hating. I dont care about a normal person but when the trolling comes from an Administrator and a Sponser you start to think less of the site they are on. But brandon hit it on the button about being certified for using a holster. I know where you guys are coming from but I was just asking about questions about if guns were legal for production and how many mags I needed. There wasnt anything asked about should i go to a steel match. I do not have a range to shoot anything beside shooting in my lane. So I would like to test out steel challenge before I spend money and time making steel targets in the steel challenge specs.

dennishoddy

yibomb said:
There's always internet trolls out there hating. I dont care about a normal person but when the trolling comes from an Administrator and a Sponser you start to think less of the site they are on. But brandon hit it on the button about being certified for using a holster. I know where you guys are coming from but I was just asking about questions about if guns were legal for production and how many mags I needed. There wasnt anything asked about should i go to a steel match. I do not have a range to shoot anything beside shooting in my lane. So I would like to test out steel challenge before I spend money and time making steel targets in the steel challenge specs.
There are a lot of ranges out there that have regulations that are tough to comprehend for experienced shooters, but I can understand where they are coming from.
We get to work with shooters at our range on occasion that have never handled a gun, and having them drawing from a holster is one of the last things we want them to do until they get a lot of trigger time, become comfortable with the gun, and control of their trigger finger while handling the gun.
A lot of accidents have occurred while drawing from a holster.

All of that being said, I'll quote from your Original post. "Yeah the only reason why I was thinking of bring two guns was my Glock 19 is my EDC, and my 5"M&P core is my range/comp gun"

And some more:
I just got certified for drawing from the holster at my local range and man is that a completely different feeling have a loaded gun pointed at yourself. I was really nervous at first and had a hard time just thinking and going through the steps, the AR shooter a few lanes down emptying his mag with a compensator was not helping either. After the range master went over it a few times and corrected two of my methods I started calming down and getting more and more relaxed. After 5 minutes he said I was good to go and then I was by myself and now completely relaxed. Glad I got a Safariland Els set up with holster, 2 handgun mag pouches,4 normal locking systems, 1 holster locking system, and AR mag pouch. Especially when one of the members gave me a 40% off coupon code.Down the road I might switch to a Bladetech holster for my M&P so I don't have to clear so much holster from my level 2 retention Safariland holster.

You have listed a litany of guns, and holsters that you own and admit to using as range guns. You have never drawn from a holster with that equipment at your disposal?

I'm just trying to get some facts in order here to see if some of us can help in your situation. This Forum is famous for helping people through just about any question they may have with some incredible talent that it offers and try to alleviate some of your concerns.

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
I know people get worried at newer people drawing from the holster. I check near by shooters using holster to see if they are going to sweep their firearm in my direction. If I feel they are going to put me in harm's way I go to a different section at the range. With this being said before I got certified to use a holster I practiced at home for a few weeks. I have gone to my range 3 to 4 times with my holster and feel confident in my methods. I know everyone here probably thinks of me as a inexperienced shooter but I have a lot more trigger time than most new shooters. Sense I joined my first range in November I have gone to the range 35 times 19 of the 35 in the last month. I have much to learn and that's why I post on forums.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
yibomb said:
OK first off I set an alarm for my steel challenge match on the second Sunday of January. I work up on Sunday all ready to go to my first match and I looked at my clock and I woke up late. I set my alarm on a weekday schedule, so I woke up at 930 when I set my alarm for 730 for the 9 start time. Now I have more experience shooting so I don't mind missing the event but it would have been nice just to go to my first steel challenge event.
yibomb said:
There wasnt anything asked about should i go to a steel match. I do not have a range to shoot anything beside shooting in my lane. So I would like to test out steel challenge before I spend money and time making steel targets in the steel challenge specs.
No, you didn't ask if you should go to a Steel Challenge match, you intended to go to one with a Centerfire pistol and based on the questions, shoot it in Production which, unless the range is using its own version of rules and equipment divisions, means you start in the holster. That is why I made the comments I did. It isn't trolling if your response to someone's comments are based on the information given by the OP.

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
I get my two mag pouches tomorrow from Safariland and now have 8 magazines. My next match is this sunday. There are actually two matches one is USPSA match and other is the steel match, same one I missed last month. The USPSA match is pretty popular and I thought sense this is my first match I would rather go to one with less people.

Getting pretty exited, now that football is done I don't have an excuse to miss any more events.

yibomb

Well-Known Fanatic
Got my two mag pouches today! I decided that I am just going to shoot my M&P sense I shoot it 95% of the time. Sense I will be only shooting in one class, I took my Apex flat trigger out for the stock. I took everyone's advice and went to production with just one gun. Only two days until my first match! Also saw my firearm flash for the first time yesterday.

Latest posts