Newly Proposed Dorchester County Firearm Ordinance

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
South Carolina: Stop Proposed Dorchester County Firearm Ordinance

The Dorchester County Council is in the process of approving a new ordinance regulating the discharge of firearms in parts of Dorchester County. This proposed ordinance would make it illegal to discharge any firearm within 500 feet of a public road in certain zoning districts. The County Council will meet on Monday, October 1, when it will likely vote on final passage of this proposal.

It is critical that the Dorchester County Council hear from safe, responsible gun owners and sportsmen who oppose this poorly-crafted ordinance. Contact information for County Council members can be found here.

Please plan to attend the County Council meeting on Monday, October 1 and show your opposition to this ordinance. This meeting is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m., and will be held at the Kenneth F. Waggoner Services Center, County Council Chambers, located at 201 Johnston Street, St. George.
This proposed ordinance provides exceptions for "law enforcement officials and military personnel in the performance of their duties," as well as for "a person operating a 'shooting range'" as defined under South Carolina law. There are, however, no exceptions mentioned for people discharging a firearm for personal protection, or for people who are otherwise lawfully hunting. Nor is there an exception for people who do not have a shooting range recognized under South Carolina law, but who may occasionally use their private property in a safe, responsible manner for recreational shooting.
In addition to contacting Dorchester County Council members, it is important that you also contact state Representatives and Senators whose districts include part of Dorchester County, and express your concerns regarding this action by the County Council.

Dorchester County Senate Delegation:

Senator Larry Grooms (SD-37)

Senator Michael Rose (SD-38)

Senator John Matthews (SD-39)

Dorchester County House Delegation:

House Speaker Robert Harrell (HD-114)

Representative Jenny Horne (HD-94)

Representative Patsy Knight (HD-97)

Representative Chris Murphy (HD-98)

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Is anyone from the forum actually going to the council meeting, or is this just another one of those complain about it and go along with it any way deals.

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
As a member of the Palmetto Gun Club that is located in Dorchester Co. but resides in Berkeley Co., I plan to attend.

It appears to be a bigger problem for those that live and hunt in Dorchester Co. I jave no way of knowing where all the board members here live and placed the post for informational purposes.

The lack of desire to do something on our part is usually how this BS passes.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Having just come home from St. George, and the County Council meeting. I can say that the proposed ordinance was voted 4-2 opposed. So this one did not pass. I believe that no one there was for it, except the Councilmen Mr. Chinnnis and Mr. Hargett, so far as it was written, with a last minute amendment. I think that this will come up again, and as many people in Dorchester County as possible should contact their respective councilmen to help them futher understand our position.

melloyello

Well-Known Fanatic
Heard about the Dorchester firearms discharge ban on WTMA this morning with Tara Servatius.

The councilman was for the ban but it was a 4 - 2 vote to reject the ban.
The councilman mentioned that Castle Doctrine overrode the legislation.
It was targeted at people who discharge weapons on their properties.
It will impact all people in incorporated and unincorporated areas of Dorchester county.

Tara mentioned that it sounded like good legislation, not sure I agree.

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
melloyello said:
Heard about the Dorchester firearms discharge ban on WTMA this morning with Tara Servatius.

The councilman was for the ban but it was a 4 - 2 vote to reject the ban.
The councilman mentioned that Castle Doctrine overrode the legislation.
It was targeted at people who discharge weapons on their properties.
It will impact all people in incorporated and unincorporated areas of Dorchester county.

Tara mentioned that it sounded like good legislation, not sure I agree.
I was headed to the NWS this morning when she was talking about this but I didn't get her take because I arrived and got out before she finished her part on it. I did think I her her make and off the cuff remark that clearly showed her dislike of firearms.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't been on here for a while, better late than never.

I do know that on this issue, the reason behind the Ordinance was due to teenagers in the Sangaree area were shooting out car windows with BB guns.

I'm glad we got a victory on that one. No

craigp

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah like they needed another law. Isn't shooting out car windows against some law already?

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
22,000 gun laws and we only need one.

dont shoot people unless a life is in fatal danger.

But then the politicians would be out of a job! How can you be so heartless?!

:lol:
Just messin' with ya...

Ageuq

Fanatic
Glockrunner said:
South Carolina: Stop Proposed Dorchester County Firearm Ordinance

The Dorchester County Council is in the process of approving a new ordinance regulating the discharge of firearms in parts of Dorchester County. This proposed ordinance would make it illegal to discharge any firearm within 500 feet of a public road in certain zoning districts. The County Council will meet on Monday, October 1, when it will likely vote on final passage of this proposal.

It is critical that the Dorchester County Council hear from safe, responsible gun owners and sportsmen car dvd players who oppose this poorly-crafted ordinance. Contact information for County Council members can be found here.

Please plan to attend the County Council meeting on Monday, October 1 and show your opposition to this ordinance. This meeting is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m., and will be held at the Kenneth F. Waggoner Services Center, County Council Chambers, located at 201 Johnston Street, St. George.
This proposed ordinance provides exceptions for "law enforcement officials and military personnel in the performance of their duties," as well as for "a person operating a 'shooting range'" as defined under South Carolina law. There are, however, no exceptions mentioned for people discharging a firearm for personal protection, or for people who are otherwise lawfully hunting. Nor is there an exception for people who do not have a shooting range recognized under South Carolina law, but who may occasionally use their private property in a safe, responsible manner for recreational shooting.
In addition to contacting Dorchester County Council members, it is important that you also contact state Representatives and Senators whose districts include part of Dorchester County, and express your concerns regarding this action by the County Council.

Dorchester County Senate Delegation:

Senator Larry Grooms (SD-37)

Senator Michael Rose (SD-38)

Senator John Matthews (SD-39)

Dorchester County House Delegation:

House Speaker Robert Harrell (HD-114)

Representative Jenny Horne (HD-94)

Representative Patsy Knight (HD-97)

Representative Chris Murphy (HD-98)

How we take part in these council meetings?