PSA 9MM uppers/kits

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone here know anything about these? Is the bolt ramped, does it need a standard hammer or 9mm specific? I'm thinking about putting one on a assembled polymer lower I already have. But, not too sure about these.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I jumped in the water on that one. Got their complete upper w/BCG and Charging handle. It arrived today and got my answers. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, here it is. The bolt is NOT ramped and does require a 9mm specific hammer. What I am kicking myself over is I should have gotten the whole kit. Using a RRA 9mm hammer and RRA heavy buffer, simple enough to put in but, the original LPK is all polymer parts (except pins and springs). Metal hammer + polymer disconnector = replace all polymer with metal parts. I have no idea how it shoots. YET! The mag block is by promag, (I went cheap and got cheap), PSA metal mags fit too loose, gonna try Promag's see if they are any better fitting. I do have it all together, and it looks and feels real good. Just have to fix the disconnector, and the mag fit. Should be range ready after christmas.

I know kinda wordy, Might be in the wrong section for all that.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never seen one of the PSA set ups but on other Colt pattern 9mm AR's I've ground the hammer hook off of a M16 hammer and it worked fine.
My 9mm upper is an Olympic so I'm not much help on the BCG since it comes ramped. I will say that trigger slap can be an issue with Colt 9mm set ups even with a ramped carrier, I believe the right spring and buffer help in that regard.

If you want to add some shims to a mag I've got fordnuts old MIG welder so we could weld some spacers tabs onto them! JB Weld epoxy may prove to be an easy way to test the theory and eliminate the wobble.

Johoevasmatrix

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok so I'm a bit late getting to the party, now am I to understand that you have to change the hammer on the lower to run 9mm? So it is not a simple pull the upper, buffer and spring.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no expert but I don't believe the notched semi hammers used in most AR lowers will work properly with the 9mm carriers.

As for buffers most folks run extra heavy units to retard the carrier movement since they're blowback operated. I run an Enidine hydraulic buffer in my gun and its awesome, smoothes and slows down the cyclic rate nicely.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i have a "COLT" 9mm upper. i dont think i have ever used it on anything but my full auto lower. that tells me an M-16 hammer will work. i dont remember how much if at all it was ramped but Andy and i put it in the lathe and ramped it. as for the buffer for 9mm it is really heavy. 2 or 3 times the weight of an AR buffer.

so id say get it ramped, make an M-16 hammer work for all your uppers and just switch the buffer for shooting 9mm.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Well,

I got the hammer figured out. All I did was sand down the original hammer (polymer) that was in it, until it worked.
Now, I'm just having feed problems. Like I said this is what I get for going cheap. The upper assembly does NOT have M-4 feed ramps, so I'm stuck with the feed ramp on the mag-block (which implies there is one). there is a huge gap between the mag and the chamber, there is nothing for the round to deflect off of after it strips from the mag. It was suggested that I bevel the chamber mouth, I am not gonna be the one to try it .

Right now all I have is a single shot 9mm AR.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
No, Its not the mags. The feed ramp on the magblock sits lower than the mouth of the mag. I'm gonna be out at boggy tomorrow, shooting Mosin's and others that work. I'll have the 9mm with me. Tryin to be there @ 10AM-12pm.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
We hope to hit Boggy tomorrow too and if so there will be at least one other Colt pattern 9mm gun in the mix, maybe two!

We probably wont make it there until mid-afternoon since I need to machine a bushing on the lathe over at my fathers. If you're still around we can compare setups.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got an original colt 9mm with 16' barrel and a DEA upper I think 10' with mag block I put in the M-16 if you want to come by and look at them you're welcome.

Clicker if your going to the range tomorrow you could take my mag block and see if that fixes the problem.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
JT is your mag block a bottom loader or do you have to remove the bolt catch and drop it in from the top?

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker,

I'll most likely be out there @ 11AM, probably be there a while. I'll have the AR-9 with me, along with some new folks that want to know where Boggy is. So, I hope to see ya'll there.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
Clicker said:
JT is your mag block a bottom loader or do you have to remove the bolt catch and drop it in from the top?

You can fit it from the bottom. It has a alien wrench that you use to tighten a tentioner in the front or back of the block.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry I messed ya 44, it was after 3 by the time I arrived. A friend bought some metal mags dirt cheap, if you're interested PM me and I'll tell you about it.

44lover

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally, got some info from PSA, on my little project. Over at the Mt. Pleasant store last Sunday, I spoke with an employee who has built up a few of their kits. He told me, the reason I'm having trouble is I'm not using their mag block. He did have one in his personal rifle that he let me look at, and it what I'm needing. I will order that as soon as finances permit.
Makes sense really, PSA upper, PSA mags, PSA mag block. will keep ya'll up to date.