Time for a new holster maybe... suggestions.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey everyone. I usually carry my Shield or P6 in an N82Tactical tuckable IWB, at 2:30 or 4:00 depending on what I'm doing (ie sitting or walking). My basic problem is that the actual gun-holding part is spandex, so with my belt tight enough to hold everything up I simply cannot reholster. Also, the clip needs to sit on my belt - on my pants directly it tends to fall out when I stand up from the car. The large metal clip is a giveaway even if I've tucked my shirt and you can't see the gun.

Another problem is that I'm basically shaped like Gru from Despicable Me. Large torso, skinny bottom half. I have enough problems with keeping pants up:)

I'm thinking something with two clips, and probably suede or leather since it sits next to my skin. Definitely IWB... I rarely tuck my shirt and also don't often wear a concealing coat.

I've looked at appendix carry, and I can't bend to sit in the car or a restaurant(!) that way. I'm not a huge fan of middle of the back because I can't see what's (who's) near the gun. While my wife thinks shoulder holsters are sexy, I don't like muzzling everyone behind me. So...

Ideas? Holster would be specifically for the S&W Shield 9. I alternate flush and extended mags based on thickness of shirt.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you tried the N82 tactical Professional model?

It's the one I use, and I LOVE IT. Plastic molded piece in place of the spandex type part. Takes a little getting used to to draw the weapon but it wears just as comfortably, if not more, than your regular model.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
In the kydex and leather realm I have used the Old Faithful (kit), CrossBreed and Comp-Tac holsters. The most comfortable of the bunch by a small margin was the Comp-Tac. The best value IMHO is the Old Faithful. In fact I just ordered another one for my Shield in anticipation of my CCW here. If you're into all leather there some other real good ones out there. I really like my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for my 1911. It's a pricey option though.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I just bought a new Alien Gear holster. It only took 1 week to get it. They told me they were 4 to 6 weeks behind in orders...I order one for a 4" 1911. Guess they had a bunch of them made up...
They are very well built. I think you could not live long enough to wear one out. The leather back is about 3/16ths. thick. it has a bunch of adjustment and it fit a bunch of guns. I have had my 4" 1911 and a 5" and tried my Shield and it fits good...

Only problem with the holster is me....I am too fat to wear am IWB holster....they rub on my spare tire...

The Alien is a great holster and they are CHEAP...shipped to the door was $36.00 and they came with a whole bunch os screws and such so you can adjust it forever...and, they have a lifetime warranty on their stuff...

Steve

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
I must say they look in design to be very similar to the Old Faithful except no assembly required and a lower price. I wish I knew of these before I made my last order or I'd be trying one myself.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Frost: You are more than welcome to come by and get the holster and use it awhile. See what you think of it...It is well built...

I think I just prefer the smaller single clip holster or my shoulder holster...

Steve

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
fordnut said:
I just bought a new Alien Gear holster. It only took 1 week to get it. They told me they were 4 to 6 weeks behind in orders...I order one for a 4" 1911. Guess they had a bunch of them made up...
They are very well built. I think you could not live long enough to wear one out. The leather back is about 3/16ths. thick. it has a bunch of adjustment and it fit a bunch of guns. I have had my 4" 1911 and a 5" and tried my Shield and it fits good...

Only problem with the holster is me....I am too fat to wear am IWB holster....they rub on my spare tire...

The Alien is a great holster and they are CHEAP...shipped to the door was $36.00 and they came with a whole bunch os screws and such so you can adjust it forever...and, they have a lifetime warranty on their stuff...

Steve

I, too, have a spare tire (or two), and have been very comfortable with the N8 squared tactical professional model.

The alien gear is the same in design as the old faithful, but they have lots of good things going for them.... for instance, if you switch carry weapons, you can send back the kydex part of the holster and they will send you a new one for your new weapon at no charge.

Pretty cool deal.

You can also order new shells for different weapons and swap them out at your leisure....great idea.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
I also like the leather loops option the Aliens have. I am going to order a set and see if they fit my Old Faithful....

t3chn1k4l

Fanatic
I ordered an AlienGear holster for my Shield last week. When it comes in I was going to wear it for a week or two and see how it feels. If all goes well I plan on ordering extra shells for my M&P9c and my P89 as well.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
A P89 IWB, That's dedication. I have one and it's the widest handgun I own by far. It's been absolutely dependable though.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
with my experience with holsters, from looking at the alien website it looks to me that a 1911 holster for a 3 in bbl will also take a shield, my S&W sigmaas well as any officers slide size 1911, para, kimber, para double stack mag. that is if the slide will come out as in the sigma, its a little longer and if it will then it will take all long 1911s.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
jfeenin said:
A P89 IWB, That's dedication. I have one and it's the widest handgun I own by far. It's been absolutely dependable though.

Wow. I've got one too, and the only way I could conceal it on my frame is a shoulder holster. Even small of back with a coat prints some.

I've got well over 4k rounds through mine (had it since 96). Only ever choked on my early reloads which were too light.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
As I said before...My 1911 Alien Holster fits my Shield also...It fits my 5" 1911s, the Shield and if course my Commander length pistols...

Steve

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
You all got me to thinking..I just pulled my M&P 9mm full sized out. It fit the holster, also. It is a little snug but all you have to do is loosen the adjusting screws and the M&P fits great...

Truly a nice holster.

Steve

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
might want to get the long one for a full size 1911 so it doesnt hang up getting it out.

Steve is yours for a 3 inch or a 4 inch?

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine is the 4".

I just tried it , and, my Glock 36 even fits the holster...This thing will fit everything...

So far it fit :
1) 4" 1911
2) 5" 1911
3) M&P Shield 9mm
4) M&P Full Sized 9mm
5) Glock 36
6) Browning Hi-Power

That is about all I got to try...tonight...

Steve

Mike_Diako

Fanatic
I have a CompTac Minotaur and and Old Faithful for my Glock 19. I prefer the CompTac.

Everyone is different though. I could fill a dresser drawer with holsters that I've bought over the years that don't work for me. Lately I've been using a Kydex OWB paddle holster that I made.