Waiting period

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife took her CWP class and sent everything in back in early February. By our calculations it should have arrived in the mail by now but it has not. Has anyone else experienced any delays and if so how long? I figure they have more than they are capable of processing but I wanted to make sure others were experiencing the same thing before we started making calls to see what the hold up was.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
I think they're required to have your ID done within 90 days. Mine arrived in the mail at my house on about the 89th day! It's been awhile since my CWP class but I seem to recall they said not to call them if before the 90 days is up but after that it's okay to ask about your application/ID card. Don't have the telephone number with me though. It's frustrating, I know. But if you think this is painful, try waiting on a BATFE tax stamp!

crystalphoto

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine took exactly 90 days not counting weekends, and that was four years ago. They are supposed to have it to you within the 90 days, as I recall. I, for one have never expected any kind of supurlative service from any government agency... Florida took right at six months, but that is another story and a bit off topic... If you don't hear in 90 day, give them a call, I hear they are (or at least used to be) very easy to deal wit via phone.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how closely they followed that 90 day rule. Shes right at the 90 day mark so I think I will give it another week before I tell her to start bugging them.

I can imagine waiting on a tax stamp is much worse.

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
The mis-understanding is the State has 90 days to turn you down. After 90 days it is a shall issue .. So it may well take a little longer. Mine took about 100 days. So if your wife is at the 90 day mark and has heard nothing then she will get one.

NavyNukeET

Well-Known Fanatic
SwampFox, has your wife received her permit yet? We're still anxiously waiting on ours!

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
It came in today. It was day 124. :roll:

She was very happy it finally came. Now I have some back up when we go places :D

Except dinner of course. :evil:

NavyNukeET

Well-Known Fanatic
Today is 107 for us. Her Crossbreed holster was ordered March 30 and still hasn't come either. Which will be first? :lol:

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
I would bet the CWP will show up any day now. I know the Crossbreed people have to be backed up. In a perfect world they will both show up on the same day.

jmt2566

Well-Known Fanatic
On their facebook page this Thursday Crossbreed posted "Just started shipping April 2nd. Thanks again for your patience, we do appreciate it." I hope this helps! Good luck!

-Jeff

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
NavyNukeET said:
Today is 107 for us. Her Crossbreed holster was ordered March 30 and still hasn't come either. Which will be first? :lol:

At day 107, if I did not already have a permit that let me carry (and thus was disarmed through the incompetence of the state), I would be calling SLED every day. I'd send a letter via certified mail demanding my permit or a written explanation of why they have failed to meet the statutory timeline. I'd initiate a FOIA request for any documents related to the processing of my permit. I'd contact the agency's Inspector General and demand an inquiry into why the agency is arbitrarily ignoring state law. I'd file a formal complaint with SLED.

If I didn't like the answer (or non-answer) from SLED, I'd write the governor. Finally, I'd be writing to my elected representative. Nothing gets action faster from the bureaucracy than a legislative inquiry, or something from the governor's staff.

They have 90 days per law to turn you down or process the paperwork. They can infringe on your specifically enumerated right for 90 days, and 90 days only. Not 91. Not 99. Not 107. 90.

NavyNukeET

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife's permit showed up about 2 weeks ago, but mine still has not. Mine was applied for with a copy of my PCS orders that have me here in SC.

I talked to SLED today but they're whole system is down. Will update tomorrow.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
NavyNukeET said:
My wife's permit showed up about 2 weeks ago, but mine still has not. Mine was applied for with a copy of my PCS orders that have me here in SC.

I talked to SLED today but they're whole system is down. Will update tomorrow.

If the conversation is not documented or recorded it never happened. South Carolina is a "one party" consent wiretap state so you can record the conversation if you want to, and I would. I'd also send a letter via certified mail, then use the response or non-response when you escalate the matter.

"The system is down" is not a valid excuse. The law allows SLED 90 days. Not "90 days plus a few weeks because the system is down."

SLED officers would absolutely hammer you if you, say, neglected to apply for a renewal on a CWP because it was inconvenient and were carrying under an expired permit. So, why cut them any slack?

throttleup

Active Fanatic
As of last Friday, the official reply is that they are now taking 120 days. Yes, SLED is breaking the law. Section 23-31-215-C states they will have it processed in 90 days. It doesn't say 90 days if they have enough personnel, or if their machine can crank them out fast enough, or if their budget is sufficient. It says 90 days. So what do you do when the department that enforces the laws breaks their own law? Maybe call the Attorney General's office and file a complaint? Maybe call the Governor's office and do the same? This has been going since the first of the year. It's time for someone in the State Administration to say "Enough with the excuses! Get the problem solved and get the permits out in the time proscribed by law".

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're shocked or taken aback by a law enforcement agency disregarding laws then I really have to question just what in the hell you've been doing since the 1860's, because it clearly isn't reading a newspaper.

Short of an order by the Governor or a defunding by the Legislature there is literally nothing that can or will be done. This is the United States.

NavyNukeET

Well-Known Fanatic
My permit showed up yesterday!

But... They have part of my address wrong. Instead of "STREET" it reads "STREETR".

Think this is an issue that needs to be addressed? (no pun) They spelled it correctly on the front of the mailing envelope. This is a "military" SC CWP rather than the typical style that looks like a SC drivers license.