First attempt at stippling

You're making it easier for me for sure...I appreciate the info, I was wondering what tip you used for the glock...

I think Matt showed pics of the sanding process on here before...final product looks really nice

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
You're making it easier for me for sure...I appreciate the info, I was wondering what tip you used for the glock...

I think Matt showed pics of the sanding process on here before...final product looks really nice

I hadn't seen pictures of his sanding process. I had a problem with my G35 at the Ponca match yesterday and somebody was kind enough to offer to let me shoot their G35 that they had with them. I shot it and it was very nice. My performance wasn't. I was flustered due to a couple malfunctions in the first couple stages and then a pin walked out on me in the third stage and when I put it back in it wouldn't strip a round from the mag and chamber properly without helping the slide forward. It got in my head and I COMPLETELY sucked that match. I was so frustrated that I could barely speak coherently. I think I asked Heath twice on the last two stages what caliber he was shooting. I knew it was .38 super from previous matches but I was thinking about Chambers saying he was close to running out of ammo to be able to reshoot a stage and I was going to offer him some of mine. Got so flustered I couldn't keep people and their guns straight. Once I got home, I realized that John was correct and when I pushed the pin back in the slide stop spring was on top of it and not below it. Took 30 seconds to fix. I asked John who did the stippling on the G35 he let me shoot and he said Matt. Matt did a very fine job on it. If you don't feel up to trying it yourself, Matt does good work. I was pleased with how it felt in my hand and that's why I decided my G35 had to be stippled but I decided to do it myself.

To do the actual stippling I just used a fine tip in an old soldering iron. It was one that I've used as a soldering iron so I used some 400 grit sandpaper to clean the tip a bit but I didn't do any reshaping.