Some advice for an adversarial LEO encounter

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Another topic regarding someone stopped and harrassed for carrying a gun made me want to post some excellent advice I read awhile back. Sadly, the original link no longer works, and I didn't copy down the original author's name. While it pertains to open carry, which we obviously don't have (yet), it is still good advice. It's a long read, but worth it.

EDIT: Thread title edited for clarity
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think most of us that have been ?detained? have felt this apprehension. We sometimes forget that the police are not talking to us because they enjoy a friendly conversation; neither do they want to do us any favors. When they start talking about handcuffs or arrest, they either genuinely do not know the law (unlikely) or they are disappointed at your lack of anxiety of them and their authority.

This is based on my (too many) experiences with law enforcement officers:

When you don?t respond properly to their low level intimidation, they may take it up a notch at a time until one of two things happen; you become compliant, or they reach a line in the sand they don?t want to cross. Of course, they also have the option of just letting it go, and hopefully that?s what will happen, but there are times when they may want to force compliance. To do that they use intimidation.

The first level of intimidation is presence. They approach you and stand nearer to you than you may be comfortable with, one will likely flank you and stand in your blind spot, both will have their hands in front of them at the ready position. They know they?re embarrassing you in front of your significant other and the general public, that?s part of the plan. 95% of the population will immediately respond to these actions with apprehension and compliance. When you don?t, the officer may suspect you are mentally unbalanced or a lawyer (or both).

The next level is the demand for identification. 95% of the population believes that you must obey any order given by a police officer. If you refuse or otherwise display a lack of appropriate trepidation for their authority, they have two paths to take; take the whole thing further, or appeal to your desire to be helpful and your desire end the encounter quickly. The second path usually involves dialog like, ?Look, I don?t want to arrest you, you seem like a good guy, just give me your ID and we can get out of here.? This is a bluff. If they could arrest you ? they would. They aren?t paid, and they don?t get bullet statements for their performance reports, by doing favors, but by making arrests. You can certainly be polite when you refuse their requests/demands, thus playing along with their whole ?friendly? nonsense, which lets them know that tactic isn?t working on you. In my case, the officer used ?friendly repetition? and asked repeatedly, even throwing in a personal favor to further entice me to comply. (He tried to get me to surrender my CPL so he could check the expiration date for me. What a guy.) In the case cited above, the poster was complying but also verbally objecting at the same time, so the officer had to regain the high ground by taking it up a notch.

This is where the officer gets into dangerous territory because he?s hoping that he will find something to justify his actions, up to and including this point in time, or hoping he can BS his way out if he?s ever called to the mat over the incident. Up to this point, his supervisors will probably back his actions, even if his actions weren?t completely legal. The rules of Terry are easily overlooked when a handgun is involved. You don?t have to agree with that, just understand the reality. This is why it?s so important to have a witness, preferably an audio or video recording. The officer is standing on the line in the sand now; he can walk away or cross over. It?s very hard to walk away, it?s a pride or ego thing. If he decides to cross the line, he will probably handcuff you and take your identification. Under the law, he can only pat you down for the presence of weapons during a Terry seizure. How does a wallet feel like a weapon? Well, they can always claim that a razor blade is easily concealed in a wallet, and your wallet is easy to reach even while cuffed. Expect to be verbally berated and lectured. He wants you to be amenable, he wants to hear that you agree with his position that you conceal or not carry in that place. Meanwhile, his partner is running your name and possibly the serial number on your gun. They?re fishing at this point, hoping that something will give them justification for this whole event. That?s illegal, but it?s all they have. They don?t care that the prosecutor won?t press charges, or if he does that it will get thrown out in court, they need a reason. When you come back clean, he can either let you go with a stern warning while implying the whole thing was for your benefit, or move up to the next rung.

Arrest is pretty rare actually. If you?ve held out this long and they decide to arrest you, they either believe they?re right (again, very unlikely) or they?re trying to teach you a lesson. The lesson has nothing to do with your handgun, and everything to do with teaching you to respect their authority.

So, how does one prevail when the scenario begins to become apparent? Where does one decide to get off the ladder - to tuck tail and comply?

First, remember that arrest is very rare in any of the anchor states (PA VA WA UT NV AZ etc) where OC is established. Second, KNOW the laws in your state and KNOW your rights. Study Terry stops as well as what the limitations are on the police if you are stopped, detained, or arrested. Confidence is your best tool. Remember, if they could arrest you ? they would. They wouldn?t waste time giving you a stern lecture, they would talk to you enough to get you to incriminate yourself and then just slap the cuffs on.

We shouldn?t see so many posts in these forums where the conversation with the police officers are so long. It?s futile to argue with them! They are not going to ?learn? anything from you, even if you have the entire volume of firearms laws printed and in your pocket.

The FIRST thing out of your mouth in any police encounter (that you didn?t initiate by calling them) should be, ?Am I being detained?? Everything hinges on the answer to that question. The rules and limits are different for a simple conversation, a detainment, and an arrest. You need to establish, right from the start, what the officer is doing so you know what your obligations and the officer?s limitations are.

Remember, the officer can only legally seize you if he has reasonable articulable suspicion that you are involved in a crime. He cannot rely on you giving him the articulable part during the conversation; he has to have that first. If you are not being detained, politely wish the officer a nice day and WALK AWAY. If the officer says yes, that he or she is detaining you, immediately ask, ?For suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?? There is, after all, the possibility that their actions are justified and there is a reasonable articulable suspicion that you were involved in a crime. If you are being justifiably detained and you can help the officer, do so. If a guy wearing the same color shirt as you just robbed the 7-11, your cooperation can help the officer get back to looking for the real culprit.

If they cannot articulate a real crime for which they suspect your involvement, you need to begin objecting to their seizure. I say ?real crime? because I once was told that I was being detained ?because you?re carrying a gun?. Well, that?s not, all by itself, a crime. Feel free to point that out while you ask for a supervisor. If the law in your state does not require you to produce a concealed weapon permit or license when you are not carrying concealed; don?t. Are you worried he may arrest you or cite you for not doing so? Eh, so what. This is why it?s important to KNOW the law. It would be best if the supervisor arrives and defuses the situation before it comes to arrest, but don?t be so intimidated by the possibility that you waive your other rights. If they?re foolish enough to actually arrest you, STOP TALKING. From the point they tell you you?re under arrest, say absolutely nothing other than the information they need for your booking sheet (name, address, etc.) until you receive competent legal advice. It?s unlikely it will come to that though. Think about it, the officer is so antagonized that he?s being verbally abusive to you, but he?s willing to ?do you a favor? by not arresting you if you would just comply. Recognize it for what it is; a bluff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original link (broken): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/16757-2.html

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Some advice about being stopped by police

popcorn-eating-emoticon.gif

P-1

Well-Known Fanatic

Nice John. I felt the same way. Entertaining advice.

Gr8shot

Well-Known Fanatic

While a lot of the advice in the above article is true, it should be taken with a grain of salt. if you start off a coversation with am I being detained its going to put him on alert and on the defensive right away. Now if the officer shows beligerence right away, then maybe you start using some of these tactics. many of todays law enforcement is very militant and want to be the ultimate authority over the commom man. Just learn to recognize which ones in the first few seconds of an encounter. For the record, I am married to an officer, she's a 17 year veteran.

Also, I was stopped by a state trooper about a month ago. I was going a little faster than I should have been. The officer that stopped me was very pleasant and thanked me for handing him my CWP along with my license. Never asked me to disarm or even if I was armed. Wrote me a warning and sent me on my way. Very nice officer and a credit to the state troopers. If more acted like him there would be fewer articles like the one above.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic

P-1 said:
Nice John. I felt the same way. Entertaining advice.

I was actually thinking the entertainment was upcoming.

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville

Gr8shot said:
For the record, I am married to an officer, she's a 17 year veteran.

Also, I was stopped by a state trooper about a month ago. I was going a little faster than I should have been. The officer that stopped me was very pleasant and thanked me for handing him my CWP along with my license. Never asked me to disarm or even if I was armed. Wrote me a warning and sent me on my way. Very nice officer and a credit to the state troopers. If more acted like him there would be fewer articles like the one above.

exactly, act decent: dont start none, won't be none.
if you don't draw attention to yourself, they have no reason to bother you.

from my (many) experiences with excessive speed & subsequent paperwork, most LEO's are decent guys who are trying to get us to be safe.

i got into a "situation" while back at Rivers/Remount, the female LT put her gun on her hand (just rested it there) and asked me in her best "dirty harry" voice: "do you know what i am gonna do?"

um....noo?

she said, "i am going to have the responding deputy write you up, and i am going to get me some taco bell"
she was polite, professional, competent, and actually advised me what to do to get OUT of the ticket/situation. (i may have been too stubborn to take her advice properly, so....)

when I went to court (i stood to lose EVERYTHING: house, job, car) the Deputy who wrote me up, told me what to say to do,to get out of it (what he had seen other people do)

i kinda liked those two LEO's. i like sleeping in a dry place, with 3 hots & a cot.

i talked to another LEO the other day, who said he does not like public forums, because they all tend to bash LEO's and stuff.
i am sure there are bad eggs in every basket, and i may been one, when i was younger & dumber.
but now, i just realize that LEO's want the least friction possible from honest people, so they can get on to the next criminal.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
This advice is for the very narrow instance an adversarial encounter with an LEO who has a problem with a citizen being legally armed when not accused of an actual crime. I should have been more clear with the thread title.

I'm not "bashing LEOs" I knew many fine police officers professionally when I worked in an inner city urban emergency room. I have also had some personal encounters with very reasonable LEOs during, um, roadside discussions about automotive velocity. I was always armed, either concealed or openly (in another state) and never did it cause a problem. I believe 90% of LEOs are decent and just want to go home to their families at night. But there are the other 10%.

In any encounter, you have the right to a) not speak or participate further unless you are being detained and b) know the reason if you are. The fourth and fifth amendment are there, along with the second, for very good reasons, as are Miranda rights and Terry stop rules. That's all. Let the flames resume......

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic

Based on this:

I have a CWP. If I am stopped by a police officer, do they have the right to take my weapon from me and run the serial number? To me, if I am not breaking any law besides being stopped for lets say speeding, running my serial number seems like a violation of the 4th amendment.

This, btw, has happened to me. I didn't challenge it because I didn't want to be arrested for some randomly drummed up charge (public disorderly conduct, etc).

I actually just got off the phone with a CWP question/answer line based in Columbia, and the lady on the phone said since 1975 records of all firearms that are purchased have been maintained; she regularly gives information to police when they call asking about weapons and who bought them/who they're registered to.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
Based on this:

I have a CWP. If I am stopped by a police officer, do they have the right to take my weapon from me and run the serial number? To me, if I am not breaking any law besides being stopped for lets say speeding, running my serial number seems like a violation of the 4th amendment.

This, btw, has happened to me. I didn't challenge it because I didn't want to be arrested for some randomly drummed up charge (public disorderly conduct, etc).
Yep, you have that right in theory. In the real world, not so much. Unfortunately courts and judges have 99.9% of the time held to the "officer safety" theory, even though I personally feel it is against the fourth amendment.

FYI: A small piece of electrical tape over the serial number is not illegal - only permanently obscuring or removing it is. You do not have to remove it for an LEO - if they have probable cause they can do it themselves anyway - you don't have to help. I like privacy and hate fishing expeditions. Plus, if your serial # is run, there is always the chance that that information is in some permanent record with LE. Unfortunately this doesn't work on Glocks since the original serial # is also on the barrel.

Grab some more popcorn and beer:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to surrender my weapon if asked by a LEO?

The magic words to speak are "no resistance" and "fully comply," and "fully object." Explaining that you object but do not resist or refuse and will comply removes first two things the cop will say to discredit you with his supervisor or a judge. Suspect was uncompliant with requests and resisted attempts to search and disarm him (or her). Never let a cop touch you with your permission, even to remove your gun. Just say, "I protest the removal of my legally carried weapon of self defense." Of course, it won't make a difference to the cop. They'll do what they want and claim officer safety when called for it later.

Remember, the cop's game is to mess with you until you do something stupid for the video camera on the cop's dash board. Then you have plea guilty. Remember the audience, the judge and jury. No show, no conviction.

Original link (broken) http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/16574.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not consent to any disarmament. Make it apparent.

Inform the LEO that you do not consent to being disarmed, that you will not physically resist his violation of your civil rights, and that he must seize the firearm himself as you will not handle the firearm in his presence.

Voice recorders and electrical tape over the serial numbers are your friends.

Original link (broken): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/15435-2.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
...she regularly gives information to police when they call asking about weapons and who bought them/who they're registered to.

There is no gun registry. Private undocumented sale is legal.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I think a lot of that advice comes from dealing with LEOs in "hostile territory." For example, if you open carry in Las Vegas, where Metro was (and often still IS) openly hostile to most forms of carry, you can expect to be hassled. The same was true in Cali prior to the outright ban on unloaded open carry that took place this year. I suspect that if SC allowed open carry there'd be at least a few jurisdictions/departments hostile to citizen's rights, just like those in NC and FL that try to buck pre-emption. In those jurisdictions you must know your rights, know the law, and protect yourself by recording interactions and/or having a good witness present. These sorts of tactics have been effective in other places in getting LEOs educated about 2A rights and changing the behavior of the department. These tactics also protect the citizen having the encounter.

I personally like having the line, "Officer, am I being detained?" in my hip pocket. If the LEO approaches me for no reason I can discern it is good to establish the bounds of the relationship right away, i.e., can I leave? If not, why? It wouldn't be the first line I'd spit out but it would be presented early in the conversation. Maybe I am cynical, but I view any police interaction I don't initiate as likely ending in either a negative or neutral outcome for me at best. The best case outcome is that the LEO wastes a few minutes of my time and leaves. The worst case is that I end up arrested or worse for no legitimate reason which then initiates a legal nightmare. There is really no chance of a positive outcome. So why extend an encounter if there's no reason to?

I am interested in the alleged registry maintained by the state of SC. I wonder where they are getting their information. Is it possible that they have a registry of weapons which have been voluy

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
FunkyMonkey said:
11B3XCIB said:
...she regularly gives information to police when they call asking about weapons and who bought them/who they're registered to.

There is no gun registry. Private undocumented sale is legal.

That's what I said..."there is no gun registry". She told me that they DO keep track of all guns sold in the state and who they are registered to when they are sold via the ATF form you fill out.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no expert at NICS, but as far as I can tell, SC is a non-point-of-contact state, so FFLs contact the FBI?s Criminal Justice Information Services Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia directly. Is the ATF even supposed to get a copy of the 4473?

I know the NICS people claim to destroy the info from the 4473 within 24 hours, but I've never believed it. However, I don't see them sharing it carte blanche with a blabber mouth in SC.

Is it possible she is confused and thinks she has all the records, when she only has records of guns that the ATF has investigated by contacting the FFL directly to view the 4473 in the book?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I found the number: 803-896-7099 on a Grass Roots website as a number in Columbia to call and ask CWP related questions. If anyone wants to call the number and ask the lady who answers about gun registration, I'd love to hear more about it. I just don't know enough about the process to ask and not sound remedial.

Low Country Five-0

Active Fanatic
Here is my take on the topic as a local leo of 10yrs.

I have had many encounters over the years with citizens legally exercising their 2nd amendment rights (either as a CWP or lawfully carrying in their vehicles console or glove box). Never have I disarmed or checked a serial # in those situations.

In cases where the firearm was in a glove box or console I have asked people to wait outside of their vehicles at safe place where I can see them while I did what I had to do to get them back on the road.

I usually ask a CWP to keep the firearm concealed. The last thing I want is for people to start drawing their firearms if there isn't a need for it.

I have also had many encounters with people illegally possessing/carrying firearms. In those cases when I "run" the serial number the only information I receive back is a yes or no as to if its been stolen. I have no way of finding out who purchased it where, when, or for how much.

The only way to obtain that info is go back to the manufacturer and find out which distributor they sent it to. Then go to the distributor and see which gun shop they sent it too and then go to the gun shop and ask to see their 4473's and then they can find out who bought it. I'm not an FFL but I believe they only have to keep their 4473's on file for 5 years. NICS doesn't keep copies. However now the ATF is going to an online 4473 and personally I don't believe anything on the internet ever really goes away. But that is a topic for another day.

Bottom line is when we hit the blues we never know who is driving the car in front of us so we will always be on guard because we have friends and families we love and want to see again. Little things like turning on dome lights and keeping your hands visible go a long way to easing our fears. I always try to be as respectful as I can but we all have bad days and I try remember that goes both ways.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tip about the interior lights, I will certainly remember that in case of a traffic stop or whatever! ;)

Being an LEO can seem like a thankless job at times, but we do appreciate what all of you do for us on a daily basis. I always say "have a safe day" to the ones I usually see out there here and there, the same goes to you as well! :cool:

04ctd

Well-Known Fanatic
North of North Chuck, South of Scummerville
Low Country Five-0 said:
Little things like turning on dome lights and keeping your hands visible go a long way to easing our fears. I always try to be as respectful as I can but we all have bad days and I try remember that goes both ways.

good post, hadda chuckle

last time i got the roadside quiz about appropriate velocity for road & traffic conditions, the S/P guy was standing in the rain.

i rolled down all the windows and put on the interior lights, so he could see we had a dog, two Gbabies, and two full sets of Walt Disney Princess Luggage in the back. big piles of take out fires & burger wrappers, spilt drinks......and about two more hours to go.

he let me go, and said "i hope your night goes better than mine..." and laughed at the dogs & babies, as he walked back to his cruiser in the rain :mrgreen:

Low Country Five-0

Active Fanatic
04ctd said:
he let me go, and said "i hope your night goes better than mine..." and laughed at the dogs & babies, as he walked back to his cruiser in the rain :mrgreen:

He was a nicer man than I. If I have to get out in the rain somebody is getting a ticket. ;)

Latest posts