Some advice for an adversarial LEO encounter

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Low Country Five-0 said:
04ctd said:
he let me go, and said "i hope your night goes better than mine..." and laughed at the dogs & babies, as he walked back to his cruiser in the rain :mrgreen:

He was a nicer man than I. If I have to get out in the rain somebody is getting a ticket. ;)

Thank You for the advice and the belly laugh :lol:

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Low Country Five-0 said:
I have also had many encounters with people illegally possessing/carrying firearms. In those cases when I "run" the serial number the only information I receive back is a yes or no as to if its been stolen. I have no way of finding out who purchased it where, when, or for how much.

I thought that was the case. I am acquainted with a few police officers and even asked one of them the other day that very same thing, and he clearly lied to me. Said all the information came back regarding ownership, etc. I didn't question him but I thought there was no way that was possible. He probably gave me misinformation because he didn't know; he'd been a resource officer and then beach patrol his whole career. Probably not 1 weapons call in his 6 years.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
armaborealis said:
I think a lot of that advice comes from dealing with LEOs in "hostile territory." For example, if you open carry in Las Vegas, where Metro was (and often still IS) openly hostile to most forms of carry, you can expect to be hassled. The same was true in Cali prior to the outright ban on unloaded open carry that took place this year. I suspect that if SC allowed open carry there'd be at least a few jurisdictions/departments hostile to citizen's rights, just like those in NC and FL that try to buck pre-emption. In those jurisdictions you must know your rights, know the law, and protect yourself by recording interactions and/or having a good witness present. These sorts of tactics have been effective in other places in getting LEOs educated about 2A rights and changing the behavior of the department. These tactics also protect the citizen having the encounter.

This is very true. Google "Danladi Moore Norfolk" for the saga about how Norfolk VA police repeatedly harrassed a young man doing nothing but open carrying and minding his own business. He is a young, intelligent male who is a member of the local gun rights group (VCDL.org) and also happens to be black. Watch the Youtube video that shows him being drawn down on by police. He sued Norfolk city and won multiple times.

It took tactics like described above to make this happen. The police are much more respectful of private citizen's rights now. The police even have his picture posted in the stations stating not to harrass him anymore. Too bad it took so much taxpayer $ in court settlements to make this happen. He's a nice guy, I've met him, and he's a hero in my book.

Latest posts