Upper assembly

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that I have a PSA upper on order I need to buy the fixture to hold it in a vise when installing the barrel which one is recommended? I would also like to get a barrel, which one is everyone using for competition?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Look on brownells for the upper vise block.
For barrels, I'm using the Loki 18" double fluted. Awesome barrel with very little weight.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I use that vice block from Brownells as well. It has the black deal that clamps around the entire upper and a plastic dowel deal that goes inside the reciever. Make sure you click through to Brownells with the link on the main forum page please.

I love JP barrels but they arent cheap. My Loki 18" rifle length is sub MOA as well. Forum sponsor Notdic Components sells an 18" Wilson barrel that a lot of guys are using as well.

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info I will scope it out. From what I have Been reading a 18" barrel with either a midlength or rifle gas system is best. Will I have a head space issue with a new barrel and a bolt from another manufacturer?

I'm still undecided on making this a budget build because I never shot 3Gun, but I would like to build a multipurpose rifle that could be used for other shooting.

Is there any other types of competition tactical rifle shooting besides 3gun?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Now that I have a PSA upper on order I need to buy the fixture to hold it in a vise when installing the barrel which one is recommended? I would also like to get a barrel, which one is everyone using for competition?

Brownells Stock # 080-000-659WB is on sale right now for $57.49. Like Jesse said, make sure you click through the Brownells link on the main page

www.makereadyproshop.com can get you this nice 18" barrel from Nordic. Send a PM to Wall and he will get you fixed up

Marv Zuidema

Well-Known Fanatic
I went with a complete JP barrel kit, Includes a headed spaced upgraded bolt, 18" 1-8 barrel, adjustable gas block and a nice blended comp. Priced it out by pieces and it's a good deal. Brownells has them for $550 complete

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I've never had a problem with the dozen or so that I've built. I'm starting to think headspacing in an AR is a myth.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a manufacturer on the 68 forum that said that 99% of the time checking the head space is not a big deal, specially I you are using quality component. The only time there is an issue is if the extension or the bolt is manufactured slightly out of tolerance and there tolerance stack up that causes an issue. The other situation is I you are using an older barrel that may have some wear in the extension. If you have the gauges or know someone that does, it never hurts to check.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, with that being said, I am very risk adverse...I've checked all the uppers I've built. :)

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thanks for the info I will scope it out. From what I have Been reading a 18" barrel with either a midlength or rifle gas system is best. Will I have a head space issue with a new barrel and a bolt from another manufacturer?

I'm still undecided on making this a budget build because I never shot 3Gun, but I would like to build a multipurpose rifle that could be used for other shooting.

Is there any other types of competition tactical rifle shooting besides 3gun?

We used to have a monthly, quarterly or evrry so often action rifle match at both USSA and OKCGC but both matches have evolved into full blown 3 gun.

No matter what you build you will end up building another one that's different eventually. Gun guys can never have just one and AR15 guys can never stop trying new cool parts.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I always thought that Practical Rifle match at Oil Capital sounded cool. It is rifle and pistol, if I recall correctly

I haven't been to a 3 Gun match yet, but it wouldn't be hard for it to be more fun than the Practical Rifle. Not that it isn't fun, but it's a lot slower paced.

OK Bowhunter

Well-Known Fanatic
Placed an order for a White Oak SPR 18" barrel today. Included low profile gas block, head spaced bolt (and carrier if they get them in). Now I will need a free float hand guard and something for the muzzle.

I plan on using the rifle for hunting, tactical class, and maybe competition if I ever get the nerve. I am thinking on a lightweight free float handguard without all the rails for lights, lasers, can openers, etc. The rifle will also need something for the muzzle. So I'm open to suggestions.

The down side is the wait for the barrel, six to eight weeks, yikes! At least I will have plenty of time for building the lower.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Troy battlerail is the best handguard on the market IMO.
Free floating, super strong, easy assembly, thinner and better looking.

Comps.... Damn, there's a lot to choose from. Got an all purpose rifle you have to decide if you can deal with the added noise of a brake, or the added recoil of a flash suppressor, or you could go middle ground with a hybrid brake/flash hider which is ok for both but great at neither.